posted by Franco .
Can you check if my rephrasing of Emily Dickinson's poem (The wind tapped like a tired man") is correct?
1) The wind tapped (or hit his fingers lightly) like a tired man (on the poet's door??) and she, like a host, invited him to enter
2) To offer him a chair was as impossible as to hand a sofa to the air since the wind was invisible.It was rapid, had no feet and no body to bind him
3) His speech his compared to the "push" (singing) of many humming birds coming form a superior bush
His finger produce a music similar to the tremulous sound blown into the glass.
The wind visited her shortly ("still flitting") and then like a timid man again tapped and left her alone ("twas flurriedly" ?? How can I rephrase this?). She felt alone again
One thing to do when faced with an assignment like this is to have a good thesaurus or thesaurus website available. http://www.thesaurus.com
I've made suggestions in bold below and underlined where you should look up words in the thesaurus.
1) The wind lightly knocked like a tired man, and she, like a host, invited him to enter her house
2) To offer him a chair was as impossible as to offer a sofa to the air since the wind was invisible. It moved fast, had no feet and no body to bind him
3) His voice is like the sound of many hummingbirds
coming from a huge bush
His fingers produce a music similar to the tremulous sound blown into the glass.
The wind visited her quickly and then like a timid man, again tapped quickly and left her alone again.