Posted by Sara on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 8:52pm.
What do these words mean: country wife, sagamite, margin, philantropist, mercenary. What roles did native women play in the founding of Canada?
Country Wife: A wife married "after the customs of the country," which were a blend of both European and Native peoples' marriage rites
Sagamite: a staple food made from ground corn
Margin: the difference between the cost and the selling price
Philantropist: a person who uses his or her money to help others
Mercenary: a soldier who works for pay
Roles that native women played in the founding of Canada were that they helped the European traders with the harsh conditions of life in that country. They helped them with all their needs, for clothing, snowshoes, access to firewood, food, make/operate canoes, guides to the area's rich fur resources, and fur preparation.
Please tell me if this is correct and add more info if it is needed. Also, tell me if all my sentences make sense, thanks
Socials - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 9:04pm
This all looks great, Sara.
Your book probably doesn't mention this, but some of the French fur traders took Native wives and had children. These kids grew up to be both Native and French. Maybe you know some people today who are descended from these French traders and their Native wives.
Socials - Sara, Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 9:09pm
Thank you Ms. Sue:-) Did you read my reply to the post addressed to you by me.
Socials - Sara, Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 9:10pm
Oh, I got that, thank you Ms. Sue you have brightened up my day.
Socials - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 9:11pm
You're welcome. :-)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Hello. Please check the structures: He and his wife didn't have bank ...
- Economics - Based on the total world trade share with the given information, ...
- English - What does the following hyperbole from Orpheus and Eurydice accomplish...
- physics homework - An ocean liner going from country a to country b stops for a ...
- grammar - Jermaine loves applying his Learning Pattern knowledge to his ...
- genaral islamic - A wife has applied farsakh in the syariah court. Then later ...
- GENERAL ISLAMIC - A wife has applied farsakh in the syariah court. Then later ...
- English 3 - Which statement below is the best paraphrase of this line from “To ...
- English - She wishes to visit the country whose scenery is beautiful. (In this ...
- English - Do you know about Mark Kastner, a writer? He wrote "Red Wolf Country...