Posted by Josh on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 7:01pm.
Find all the points having an x coordinate of 2 whose distance from the point (-1,-5) is 5.
so far i have
how do i simplify the rest of the equation so i can find x. do i foil it out? thanks.
- Trig/Math - MathMate, Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 8:09pm
Geometrically, you are looking for the intersection of a vertical line (x=2) with a circle centred at (-1,-5) with a radius of 5.
Line L1: x=2
Circle C1: (x-(-1))²+(y-(-5))²=5²
Substitute x=2 in C1:
(y+5) = ±4
So there are two solutions, y=-9 or y=-1
- Trig/Math - Josh, Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 10:27pm
- Trig/Math :) - MathMate, Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 12:11am
Do give a check on the distance between the centre and the intersection points to complete the question.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Find all the points having an x-coordinate of 9 whose distance from the ...
- Advanced Math - find all points having an x-coordinate of 2 whose distance of ...
- Algebra - find all points having an x-coordinate of 4 whose distance from the ...
- Math - Find all points having x-coordinate 9 and distance 10 from the point (3,-...
- math-Inverse functions - f(x)=-4x-2 & g(x)=5x-6. Find (f*g) and state domain. f(...
- ????Math Question????8th grade adv.math - Algebra! How is the distance formula ...
- Calculus - the curve: (x)(y^2)-(x^3)(y)=6 (dy/dx)=(3(x^2)y-(y^2))/(2xy-(x^3)) a...
- Math - I have a series of questions that I did. They lead up to the last ...
- Math (Analytic Geometry) - 1. Find the equation of the set of all points P(x,y) ...
- math - Alright, let's say you want to get from one point to another, in a 3D box...