Posted by Rebecca on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 5:03pm.
6. Explain how you would respond to the following:
a. A student claims that 9443/9444 and 9444/ 9445 are equal because both display 0.9998941 on his scientific calculator when the divisions are performed.
b. Another student claims that the fractions are not equal and wants to know if there is any way the same calculator can determine which is greater.
- MATH213 - PsyDAG, Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 1:55am
My calculator goes out one more decimal place to show the difference. I do not know any way your calculator could show it. Sorry.
- MATH213 - Andy, Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 3:28pm
Calculators usually store more numbers internally than on the screen.
Since you get 0.9998941, ask the student to subtract 1 from ANS. (If you don't have an ANS button, you can press the subtraction sign after pressing equal sign for the same effect as pressing "ANS" and "-" )
Then times it by 10 using the same method to move all the digits to the left. Then continue this process until you got the precision you wanted.
So for 9444/ 9445, the buttons I would press would be:
This will move all the digits one spot to the left
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH213 - A student claims that the equation√-x=3 has no solution, since ...
- Basic Math - A student claims that 2/3 = 6/7 because if you add 4 to both the ...
- Math - Hi everyone! I am extremely struggling with this questions and was hoping...
- MATH213 - 12. A student argues that a p% increase in salary followed by a q% ...
- TI-86 calculator - How do you afte entering data into the table find that ...
- math - A student claims that a ratio remains unchanged if 1 is added to both the...
- Calculus - In increasing order, rank: 3^ln 2, 2^3, 2^ln 3 *do not use a ...
- HELP!! Algebra - A student claims that division always makes things smaller so 5...
- MATH213 - A student wants to know how many integers between 1 and 1000 are a ...
- Math - for my stats exam, we are NOT allowed to use a scientific or graphing cal...