Posted by Mai on Monday, January 18, 2010 at 10:53pm.
The relation between the # of time in days, D, it takes for a planet to revolve around the Sun is related to the planer's average distance from the Sun, k, in millions of kilometres is defined by log D= 3/2logk-0.7 .
How much longer does it take Mars than
Venus to orbit the Sun if Mars is 207 million km and Venus is 108 million km away from the Sun?
The answer i got was originally 0.424.. but it seemed off to be so i tried it a different way and got 2.3 , can someone tell me which is correct?
Math Help- Gr12 - Reiny, Monday, January 18, 2010 at 11:05pm
you will have to use brackets so I can tell what the order of operation is
The way you typed it it would be
D = (3/2)logk - 0.7
but I have a feeling it could be
D = 3/(2logk) - .07 or even
D = 3/(2logk - 0.7)
Math Help- Gr12 - Mai, Monday, January 18, 2010 at 11:23pm
opps, im sorry.. its suppose to be D = (3/2)logk - 0.7
Math Help- Gr12 - Reiny, Monday, January 18, 2010 at 11:36pm
so for Mars k = 207 and
D = (3/2)log207 - .07 = 2.774
for Venus k = 108 and
D = (3/2)log108 - .7 = 2.350
the difference between these two times is .4238 days, which matches appr. your first answer.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - the time x (in days), that it takes a planet to revolve around the sun ...
- Math - The average radius r in meters of a planet's path around the sun is given...
- Math - The period of revolution of a planet around the sun is the time it takes ...
- Science - What distance was used to define the astronomical unit (AU) A. the ...
- Astronomy - Orbital speed is the speed with which a planet moves around the sun...
- earth - planet is in circular orbit around the Sun. Its distance from the Sun ...
- ALG/TRIG - Lost is an understatement..please help me understand this. Orbits and...
- alg - 1. (20 points) Police use the equation to estimate the speed (s) of a car...
- earth - The Earth orbits the Sun once every 365 days. The distance between the ...
- Physics - The planet pluto travels once around the sun every 248 years at a mena...