Posted by jake on Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 9:53pm.
i need help translating this poem into modern english.
it is by John Donne
I wonder, by my troth, what thou and I
Did, till we loved?were we not weaned till then,
But sucked on country pleasures, childishly?
Or snorted we in the seven sleepers' den?
Twas so; but this, all pleasures fancies be.
If ever any beauty I did see,
Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee.
And now good morrow to our waking souls,
Which watch not one another out of fear;
For love all love of other sights controls,
And makes one little room an everywhere.
Let sea discovers to new worlds have gone,
Let maps to others, worlds on worlds have shown:
Let us possess one world; each hath one, and is one.
My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
And true plain hearts do in the faces rest;
Where can we find two better hemishperes,
Without sharp North, without declining West?
Whatever dies was not mixed equally;
If our two loves be one, or thou and I
Love so alike that none do slacken, none can die.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Art - I urgently need your help for two main reasons, Writeacher. 1) First, how ...
- Literature - characteristic of john donne's poem ,the subject matter of john ...
- English-poem help - Is the poem I wrote a sonnet? My aunt has cancer, i dont ...
- English - I need help to error free assignment. Sappho born 630 B.C. in Lesbo. ...
- English - I need help finding 3 book sources and 2 other sources that criticize ...
- litreature - king lear - who said this quotation in king lear: thou shoulds't ...
- Poetry - I need help translating this poem into plain informal English and the ...
- LITERATURE - The poem written by John Donne, is the sonnet form in this poem, (...
- To Writeacher - "Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings; it ...
- poetry - Scan the following lines from Lowell's poem to identify the spondee. By...