Posted by melly on Monday, January 11, 2010 at 7:28pm.
Someone please help me i really need it!?
someone please help me....this is 50 points.....i have done it three times already and my teacher keeps giving it back saying do it over...someone please help me.
read the following excerpt, and anayzes the authors use of tone,dicition,setting,and figurative language to create an overall effect upon the reader.
"Come, let us go."
"To your vaults."
"My friend, no; I will not impose upon your good nature. I perceive you have an engagement. Luchresi--"
"I have no engagement; --come."
"My friend, no. It is not the engagement, but the severe cold with which I perceive you are afflicted. The vaults are insufferably damp. They are encrusted with nitre."
"Let us go, nevertheless. The cold is merely nothing. Amontillado! You have been imposed upon. And as for Luchresi, he cannot distinguish Sherry from Amontillado."
Thus speaking, Fortunato possessed himself of my arm; and putting on a mask of black silk and drawing a roquelaire closely about my person, I suffered him to hurry me to my palazzo.
There were no attendants at home; they had absconded to make merry in honour of the time. I had told them that I should not return until the morning, and had given them explicit orders not to stir from the house. These orders were sufficient, I well knew, to insure their immediate disappearance, one and all, as soon as my back was turned.
I took from their sconces two flambeaux, and giving one to Fortunato, bowed him through several suites of rooms to the archway that led into the vaults. I passed down a long and winding staircase, requesting him to be cautious as he followed. We came at length to the foot of the descent, and stood together upon the damp ground of the catacombs of the Montresors.
The gait of my friend was unsteady, and the bells upon his cap jingled as he strode.
"The pipe," he said.
"It is farther on," said I; "but observe the white web-work which gleams from these cavern walls."
He turned towards me, and looked into my eves with two filmy orbs that distilled the rheum of intoxication.
"Nitre?" he asked, at length.
"Nitre," I replied. "How long have you had that cough?"
"Ugh! ugh! ugh! --ugh! ugh! ugh! --ugh! ugh! ugh! --ugh! ugh! ugh! --ugh! ugh! ugh!"
My poor friend found it impossible to reply for many minutes.
"It is nothing," he said, at last.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- adult education - I need help with someone to go over my eassy with me can ...
- ...English... - For someone to struggle for freedom (any sorts of freedom), do ...
- Grade 12 Physics - CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY QUESTION I AM REALLY STUCK...
- I really need help! - Hi, I really need instructions. Can someone please tell me...
- calculus-can someone please help me with this ques - Given the following ...
- Math - Can someone help me please 5-2x is greater than or equal 7 I get x can be...
- english - could anyone proof read my essay? could i send it to someone? If i ...
- english - Hi I have to write a paper on 2 opposing sides of tattoos. but ...
- PLEASE HELP ME MATH - someone please help i hav posted my questions like 5 times...
- English - I have an essay exam tomorrow, please can someone help me get some ...