Posted by Franco on .
1) Oliver Twist tells the adventures of a poor young boy, born of an unknown unmarried woman who died delivering him to the world.His name is symbolic (?) of the reversal of fortune (?) he experienced.
2) He was brought up in a workhouse. Workhouse were places where poor people could find shelter (?)in return for doing hard physical work (can you omit doing?)
3) They sprang up (a synonym) all over England but only those who were desperate asked for admittance.
4) Oliver is forced to endure (?) the cruelties of workhouse life.
5)Oliver turns out (?) to be a rebellious child and is sold to an undertaker as an apprentice. He is treated little better than a slave, quarrel with a fellow apprencie and runs away to London. There he falls into the hands of a gang of young pickpockets, who try to make a thief out of him.
6) He is arrested, though innocent, (he is accused of having stolen a handkerchief)and he is taken in (?) by Mr Brownlow, who recognizes him as his dead friend's child. He is eventually kidnapped by the gang (by the lover of the housebraker Bill Sikes) and forced to commit burglary (is there a better word); during the job (?) he is shot in the arm and wounded. But again, he is rescued by a middle class family who shows kindness and affection towards him. Investigations are made about who the boy is and it is discovered that he has noble origins (he is discovered to have noble origins??).
7) His father,Brownlow's friend, is a wealthy gentleman. His mother is Rose Maylie's sister. Monks, to whom Fagin gave money to lead Oliver into a life of crime and vice, turns out to be his half-brother. He is eventually arrested whereas Oliver is adopted by .....and lives happiliy everafter
Can you ckeck if all the sentences are correct????
#'s 1 is fine
2 ( can not omit "doing")
3. You can use "were established" or "were found" instead of sprang up if you wish.
4. is good.
5. I think you can say "becomes" or "is" a rebellious child.
6. I would rephrase this way, Although innocent, Oliver is arrested for stealing a handkerchief. Then, he is taken in by Mr Brownlow, who recognizes him as his dead friend's child. He is kidnapped by Bill
Sykes, the lover of Brownlow's housekeeper, and forced to aid in a burglary where he is wounded in his arm.
Again, he is rescued by a middle class family who shows kindness and affection towards him. Investigations are made about who the boy is and it is discovered that he has noble origins
7. You need to change the "He" that begins the second sentence because the reader does not know to whom that refers ( Monk or Fagin).