Posted by coug on Monday, January 11, 2010 at 10:23am.
What is the molecular weight of a gas if a 15.0g sample has a pressure of 836 mm Hg at 25.0 degrees C in a 2.00 L flask?
e)none of the above
Please explain... I need to understand how to do this. Thanks.
I know that I have to use PV=nRT, then solve for n grams/molar mass
And, I know that:
R= I think .0821
I have no idea how to change 15.0g to moles, since I do not know what the element is to look at the atomic mass--I know that one mole is avagadro's number, but I'm still really not sure what to do here.
- Chemistry (PLS HELP ASAP) - Dr Russ, Monday, January 11, 2010 at 10:46am
Yes this is correct approach
if you are using R=0.082 057 46 then the units are L atm K^−1 mol^−1, so you need to use P in atm which you have done. The tempaeratue needs to be in K rather than deg C.
once yuo have found n (number of moles)
then the molecular mass (RMM) is found from
n you have calculated above and mass is given in the question.
- Chemistry (PLS HELP ASAP) - coug, Monday, January 11, 2010 at 11:09am
OK... so I found the temp to be 298, and the moles (n) = .0089921441, but now you are saying to find the molecular mass...what is RMM? and where do I go from here?
- Chemistry (PLS HELP ASAP) - Dr Russ, Monday, January 11, 2010 at 11:23am
Sorry, MM is the molecular mass or 'molecular weight'. Molecular weight tends not to be used as it is a rather old fashioned term. Weight has units of newtons which can be confusing.
In the above if you divide 1.5 g by your figure of 0.0089921441 mole (you forgot the leading zero) you will get the molecular mass (g mol^-1).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - What is the molecular weight of a gas if a 15.0g sample has a ...
- Chemistry - I don't understand how to answer this questions. I thought molecular...
- Chemistry, HELP!! - a) If the volume of a flask is 165 mL and the mass of the ...
- chemistry - Someone can help me please? A gas sample weighing 0.528 g is ...
- Chemistry - What is the molecular weight of a gas if a 21.0g sample has a ...
- Chemistry please help :) - A 1.10 sample of dry ice is added to a 745 mL flask ...
- AP Chem - Would someone please check these for me? 52. In an experiment, you ...
- Chem 101 - A 5.00 liter sample of gas measured at 27 degrees Celcius and 1.25 ...
- chem - A 1L flask is filled with 1.25 g of argon at 25 degrees celcium. A sample...
- chemistry - when 2g of a gas A is introduced into an evacuated flask kept at 25 ...