Posted by Briana on Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 3:31pm.
Hey, I was wondering if I could get some help looking for figurative language in this poem, like simile, assonance, alliteration, personification, metaphor, onomatopoeia, ext. Thanks!
What do I care
that the stream is trampled,
the sand on the stream-bank
still holds the print of your foot:
the heel is cut deep.
I see another mark
on the grass ridge of the bank--
it points toward the wood-path.
I have lost the third
in the packed earth.
a wild-hyacinth stalk is snapped:
the purple buds--half ripe--
show deep purple
where your heel pressed.
A patch of flowering grass,
you brushed this:
the green stems show yellow-green
where you lifted--turned the earth-side
to the light:
this and a dead leaf-spine,
show where you passed.
You were swift, swift!
here the forest ledge slopes--
rain has furrowed the roots.
Your hand caught at this;
the root snapped under your weight.
I can almost follow the note
where it touched this slender tree
and the next answered--
and the next.
And you climbed yet further!
you stopped by the dwarf-cornel--
whirled on your heels,
doubled on your track.
This is clear--
you fell on the downward slope,
you dragged a bruised thigh--you limped--
you clutched this larch.
Did your head, bent back,
clear through the green leaf-moss
of the larch branches?
Did you clutch,
stammer with short breath and gasp:
_wood-daemons grant life--
give life--I am almost lost._
For some wood-daemon
has lightened your steps.
I can find no trace of you
in the larch-cones and the underbrush.
Answer this Question
- english 12..... - "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is famous for its use of ...
- English I Part II College Prep Program - Give two examples of each of the ...
- English - 1) The tea was cold, the fire was dead; What figurative language is ...
- English - The phrase, "The rogues ran rapidly around,” is a good example of 1....
- englidsh - "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is famous for its use of vivid ...
- ENGLISHH 12 - "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is famous for its use of vivid ...
- english - MUSICIANS wrestle everywhere: All day, among the crowded air, I hear ...
- 5th grade Language Arts - I have a couple of phrases/sentences that need to be ...
- poetry - what are some possible nature poems with a rhyme scheme of AAAA or AABB...
- poetry - I need a poem that contains at least six of the poetic devices listed ...