Posted by katie on Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 12:32am.
A box contains three black balls and two gold balls. A ball is selected at random, its color is recorded, and it is then replaced. A second ball is then selected at random and its color recorded. The outcome associated with this type of selection is an ordered pair (first draw, second draw).
a. List a sample space for this experiment.
b. What is the probability that both balls are black?
c. What is the probability that both balls are gold?
d. Why doesn’t the sum of the probabilities in parts (b) and (c) total 1?
- elementry math - PsyDAG, Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 5:04pm
I'm not sure what you mean by sample space.
However, the probability of a gold ball is 2/5 and the probability of a black ball is 3/5.
The probability of two or more events both occurring is found by multiplying the individual probabilities.
They don't total 1, because they don't include the probability of drawing black-gold or gold-black combinations.
I hope this helps.
- GOLD DUST FOR SALE - BENSON IMO, Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 5:07am
GOLD DUST FOR SALE
Dear Sir/ Madam,
We are small scale Gold miners here on the sub-region of West Africa. We have some huge
quantity of alluvial Gold Dust for sale at a considerable price of $30,500USD per kilo
which is below world market price, 22 carat and 92.05% purity. If you are interested, do
not hesitate to get back to us as soon as possible for us to give you our full co-operate
MR BENSON IMO
Answer this Question
- math 157 - A box contains three black balls and two golden balls. A ball is ...
- math - a. A box contains three white balls and two red balls. A ball is drawn at...
- stats - A box contains 10 red balls and 20 blue balls. Three balls are selected ...
- math - An urn initially contains 5 white and 7 black balls. Each time a ball is ...
- statistics - A box contains 3 white and 5 black balls. Four balls are drawn at ...
- math - A box contains three white balls and two red balls. A ball is drawn at ...
- Statistics - A box contains five numbered balls (1,2,2,3 and 4). We will ...
- math - A box contains 8 blue balls and 2 red balls. Three balls are selected ...
- Statistics - A bowl contains 3 red balls, 2 blue balls and 5 white balls. A ball...
- Math - A box containing 20 yellow balls, 9 red balls and 6 blue balls. If the ...