Posted by Phil on Saturday, January 9, 2010 at 8:27pm.
A boy sits in a tire that is attached to a rope that passes over a pulley fastened to the ceiling and then passes back down to the boy's hands. The weight of the boy plus the tire is W. The force with which the boy must pull on the free end of the rope to support his weight in the tire is:
- Physics - bobpursley, Saturday, January 9, 2010 at 9:35pm
Well, downward forces are W, and upward forces are his Pull, and tension.
So his pull + Tension=W on the tire side.
On the other side, tension=Pulling force
do the math.
- Physics - Phil, Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 12:36am
Ok, I think I got it. Are these free body diagrams correct? (ignore the dots)
.T.....(This tension is down)
T.F....(This tension is up)
2F=W so F=(1/2)W
- Physics - Phil, Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 1:19am
Now I'm confused. Why does changing the direction of a force double it? I'm also confused about whether the tension is a reaction to the weight of the tire and the boy or the force that the boy pulls down on the rope with. Also if the force in the free body diagram of the system were another person pulling the tire and the boy up, why would the force not be half the weight in that case?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics for Life science - A boy climbs up an 8.00m high tree. To come back down...
- Physics - Note: I am in Algebra-based Physics Two 35.0 N weights are suspended ...
- physics - 1. A 100 lb body is pulled up an inclined plane making an angle of 37 ...
- physics - A pulley is attached to the ceiling (as shown in the figure below). ...
- physics - A rope goes over a circular pulley with a radius of 6.3 cm. If the ...
- Physics - A rope goes over a circular pulley with a radius of 5.5 If the pulley ...
- physics - Spring scale A is attached to the floor and a rope runs vertically ...
- Physics - A pulley system os being used to raise a load. The rope begins at the ...
- Physics - You pull downward with a force of 27 N on a rope that passes over a ...
- Physics - A 70 kg person stands on a 30 kg platform and pulls on a massless rope...