Posted by Gita on Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 6:17pm.
What is the difference between past tense and past participle? what is used when?
past tense: I walked to the Cafe.
past participle: I had walked to the cafe.
4th grade - Writeacher, Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 6:25pm
Regular verbs have 4 principal parts. I'll list them for you:
Present - walk
Simple past - walked
Past participle - walked
Present participle - walking
Notice that the simple past and the past participle are spelled alike in this particular verb. The simple past form is to be used alone, no helping verbs. The participle needs an auxiliary (helping) verb with it to make it serve as a sentence's main verb.
It's easier to see the differences with irregular verbs. Here's one:
Present - ring
Simple past - rang
Past participle - rung
Present participle - ringing
Do you see the difference? Can you do the same with other verbs?
4th grade - Gita, Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 8:58pm
Thank you for your nice explanation, My another question in this connection is, is there a difference in meaning between these past tense and past participle sentenses, I hope I wrote these sentenses correctly.
I rang the bell
I had rung the bell
4th grade - Ms. Sue, Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 9:28pm
Your sentences are correct.
"I rang the bell" is a simple statement about what you did in the past.
"I had rung the bell" implies that you did this action before something else.
I had rung the bell before I realized no one was home.
4th grade - Gita, Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 9:59pm
Thank you very much.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - 3. The principal parts of a verb are A. present tense, present ...
- english - The principal parts of a verb are A. present tense, past tense, future...
- English - 1) What is the principal part of the underlined verb in the sentence? ...
- ESL-grammar - can anyone plz tell me what's the differences between past perfect...
- english - 7.Sneezing spreads colds. Present participle Gerund Infinitive Past ...
- lal - present and past participle i have to write if each participle are past or...
- English - Write the verbs in the following sentences. Then identify each verb as...
- English - 1.All of the balloons on the string (popped) except two. 2.Do you (...
- english - Is gone the past and past participle tense of the word go?
- Language Arts - Write present, present participle, past or past participle to ...