Posted by Dean on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 11:01pm.
Well, this problem is really stumping me, so here it is.
Directions: In each problem, first draw a picture of the situation to the right of the problem. Then decide whether the problem involves measuring length or area growth to help you answer the questions.
1. It costs Mrs. Jones $400 to carpet the small room shown. She has another room twice as long and twice as wide. How much will it cost her to carpet the bigger room with carpeting?
The picture shows a rectangle with no shown dimensions.
So, how am I suppose to start off?
-Sorry for the grammar mis-splled, I just type-read from the paper.
- Pre-Algebra - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 11:10pm
For this problem you need the area to find how much carpet is needed. Since I'm not a math teacher, I had to try a few possible dimensions to form a conclusion.
If the small room were 10 feet by 10 feet, then its area is 100 square feet.
That means the large room is 20 by 20 or 400 square feet.
Conclusion: it will cost 4 times as much to carpet the large room.
- Pre-Algebra - Dean, Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 11:12pm
Would it be $800?
- Pre-Algebra - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 11:15pm
When I went to school 4 times 400 was not 800.
- Pre-Algebra - Dean, Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 11:17pm
It says twice as wide, not four times..
- Pre-Algebra - Dean, Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 11:20pm
Nevermind, it says twice as long/wide.
- Pre-Algebra - Reiny, Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 12:13am
let the original be x by y, so the area is xy
the new is 2x by 2y , so the new area is 4xy
so it is 4 times as large, as Ms Sue told you
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - How do I work this problem, it is not a homework problem but a problem...
- Algebra - Use the above graph of f(x) to complete the following table for ...
- Algenra - How do I work this problem, it is not a homework problem but a problem...
- Algebra - Can someone help me factor this problem? Generally I wouldn't have a ...
- algebra 2 - i need help with my algebra 2 homework, the section is called using ...
- math,algebra - Can someone help me with this problem I don't understand what to ...
- math - for the following equations, write a word problem draw a picture, and ...
- math,correction - Is this correct or no. I need help in a couple of problems can...
- math...help please! - ok i REALLY am stumped. please help! it is a sequence ...
- trigonometry. - In a right triangle sinA= 3/5 and C=17. Find a and b. Be sure to...