Posted by harry on Friday, January 1, 2010 at 1:35pm.
A school sells tickets for a show, (a) adult tickets and (c) child tickets.
1) each adult ticket costs $8 and each child ticket costs $5. the total takings are 2300.
Write an equation to represent this information.
2) solve algebraically the simultaneous equations to find the values of a and c.
i think the first one is 8a + 5c = 2300 but i'm not sure about the second one.
- math-need information - MathMate, Friday, January 1, 2010 at 2:18pm
The question as it is will allow you to formulate one equation which you did correctly.
It is normal that the question also tells you how many tickets have been sold in all. The total number of tickets sold should range between 289 to 460. This way, you can formulate a second equation of the form
a+c=N where 289≤N≤460
If this information is not given, there are many possible solutions.
- math - harry, Friday, January 1, 2010 at 3:07pm
forgot to write it, the school sells 370 tickets
- math - MathMate, Friday, January 1, 2010 at 3:41pm
So the second equation would be
a + c = 370 ....(2)
and the first equation is as you had it:
8a + 5c = 2300 ....(1)
You can solve it using substitution, namely, using (2),
and substitute a into equation (1) to get
8(370-c)+5c = 2300
Solve for c and subsequently for a.
Don't forget to put back your answers into equations (1) and (2) for a check.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra. Please help me understand. - Write a linear system of equations that ...
- math hurry please - Each child ticket for a ride costs $3, while each adult ...
- math - a movie theater charges $7 for an adult's ticket and $4 for a child's ...
- Math/ASU - A movie theater sold a total of 520 adult and child tickets on a ...
- Math - Game tickets for 1 adult and 2 kids is $21. The adult ticket is $3 more ...
- Math - A movie theater sold a total of 390 adult and child tickets on a certain ...
- math - Sam buys 2 adult tickets and 3 child tickets for $44.40.John buys 3 adult...
- Algebra - The school that Trevon goes to is selling tickets to a choral ...
- math - a ticket booth sold 456 tickets and collected $2311.50 in ticket sales. ...
- Algebra I - your class sells 64 tickets to a play. A student ticket cost $1. An ...