Posted by matt on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 8:01am.
A farmer has 1000ft of fence and wishes to enclose the largest possible area that has four individual square pens bordered by a rectangular pen of a different width on each end. what are the overall dimensions of the fence area with maximum square footage?
so far i thought i could set up the area equation to be A= 4(x^2) + 4xy and then take the derivative but im not getting the correct answer
- math - Vanessa, Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 8:14am
what is the Tenths place
- math - Vanessa, Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 8:17am
what is the tenths place?
- math - bobpursley, Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 8:22am
IN the fraction 4.5, the five is in the tenths place.
For matt: I dont understand how a rectangular pen can have a different width n each end.
- math - matt, Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 8:27am
yeah i dont understand the wording but the diagram shows that each end of the entire rectangular pen is 2x
- math - Reiny, Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 8:28am
I could be a matter of interpretation.
It said, "four individual square pens bordered by a rectangular pen of a different width on each end"
You have the rectangles fanning out on one side of the squares. Could it not also mean that they fan out on all sides of the squares, so that there would be 10 rectangles with the squares in the middle?
Just wondering if that is the problem.
Anyway, according you your interpretation, I got
20x + 5y = 100
4x + y = 25
y = 25-4x
A = 4x^2 + 5x(25-4x)
expanding this, differentiating and setting that equal to zero, gave me
x = 25/6 ft.
If you also got that, try the different interpretation.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra2 - A farmer has 600 yards of fence. He will use some of the fence to ...
- Algebra 2 - 2. a farmer has 400 meters of fence with which to enclose a portion ...
- Math - 1. A gardener has 140 feet of fencing to fence in a rectangular vegetable...
- Algebra - Math - A farmer has 100 yards of fencing with which to enclose two ...
- Calc 1 - A farmer with 700 ft of fencing wants to enclose a rectangular area and...
- College Algebra - A farmer has 100 yeards of fencing with which to enclose two ...
- calculus - Farmer Jones has 210 meters of fence. She wishes to construct a ...
- math - A farmer will make a rectangular pen with 100 feet of fence using pasrt ...
- Algebra 2 - a farmer has 400 meters of fence with which to enclose a portion of ...
- Calculus Follow Up - A farmer wishes to build a fence for 6 adjacent rectangular...