Posted by Joanne on Friday, December 18, 2009 at 10:00pm.
Okay, so I am stuck on solving this using the substitution method.
The mortgage department of the company is selling two model homes that are located on the same block. The square footage, as well as the type of model, determines the cost of these homes.
e) The second home has 1000 square feet less than twice the square feet of the first home. Write an equation that illustrates this situation using x and y to denote home #1 and home #2, respectively.
f) Together, both homes have 4,400 square feet. Write an equation that illustrates this situation using the same variables you used in part e.
g) Use substitution to determine the square footage of each house. Explain how you arrived at your answer.
I need to isolate y in the first part, so I subtract 2x from both sides.
I am confused as to what I would do after this. Thanks for your help!
Algebra - bobpursley, Friday, December 18, 2009 at 10:02pm
for substitution, put the first equation into the second...
x=1800 then go back and solve for y
Algebra - Joanne, Friday, December 18, 2009 at 10:51pm
Thank you so much for your help! :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Here is the question: The mortgage department of the company is selling ...
- Algebra - Here is a question, but I am having a problem finding the right ...
- Please take a look - Here is a question, but I am having a problem finding the ...
- Alegebra - The mortgage department of the company is selling two model homes ...
- Algebra - Scenario #1: You handle internal accounting for Anderson Homes, a land...
- math - A study is conducted to compare the average square footage of homes in ...
- Algebra - Solving system of linear equations by using the apropiate method name ...
- college algebra - Please help in solving this problem using the method of ...
- ALGEBRA 1 - need help solving two houses are for sale on the same street.the ...
- ALGEBRA 1 - still working on this and need additional help two houses are for ...