Posted by Hannah on .
1) Is it accurate to describe the physical universe as composed of only matter and energy?
2) How is it possible that only 92 elements are found in the natural world but there are millions of different types of molecules?
I really have no clue about these questions. Please help!!
1. Yes, although some add space and time, in varying dimensions, to matter and energy.
2. More than 92 are possible, but they are unstable, and have long ago disintegrated. There are only a few lego shapes, but millions and millions of ways to put them together.
1)Probably not. The best current theories (Quantum Chromodynamics and The Standard Model)and do not start with matter and energy, although those concepts appear. We still do not know how Dark Matter fits into the big picture.
2) 92 elements can be combined in billions of ways, when you consider that molecules can contain many atoms (over 100 in some cases). Different 3-D arrangments are also possible.