Posted by Coug on Monday, December 14, 2009 at 8:09pm.
A photo width is 2 in. more than it's length. A borderof 1 in is placed around the photo, and the area covered by the photo and it's border is 120 sq. inches. Find the dimensions of the photo itself.
Math - Emily, Monday, December 14, 2009 at 8:21pm
It helps to draw out what the photo in the frame will look like, so you'll draw a rectangle with length "L" and width of "L + 2" (because it says the width [think w] is 2 more than the length "L").
Now, it says a border of 1 in. is placed around the photo. When you draw it, you see there is two inches added to both the length and width (one inch on either side). Now, the total width of the photo frame with the photo in it is L + 4, and the total length of it L + 2. The 120 square inches applies to the surface area of the photo AND frame, and the formula for surface area is A = LW. Soooo:
A = LW
120 = (L + 4)(L + 2)
Now solve for L to find your length:
L^2 + 6L + 8 = 120
L^2 + 6L - 112 = 0
(L + 14)(L - 8) = 0
Because you cannot have negative dimensions, discard the -14 you get. You now know that L = 8, so now with this information go find your width of the ORIGINAL photo, not the frame.
width = L + 2 = 8 + 2 = 10
So, the photo is 8 x 10 inches. Hope I helped!
Math - Gabe, Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 7:07pm
thank you i got it right
Math - Vone, Wednesday, October 22, 2014 at 4:37am
A rectangle picture was reduced in size from 18 inches by 30 to 6 inches by 10 inches. What is the scale factor used to reduce the picture?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- alegebra - Mr. Baker wants to enlarge a photo that is 5 by 7 inches so that the ...
- Math - The area of a rectangular photo is 35 square inches. If the width of the ...
- math - The area of a rectangular photo is 80 square inches. After reducing its ...
- math - a 3'' times 5'' photo is enlarged so that the length of the new photo is ...
- math please help asap - a photo is 4 inches wide it is placed inside a frame ...
- Math - A photo is 4 inches wide. It is placed inside a frame with a border that ...
- Algebra - A photo is printed on a 20-inch by 24-inch piece of paper. The photo ...
- math - a photo 5 inches wide and 7 inches long is enlarged. The sides of the new...
- Math - Teresa had a family photo with the dimensions of 12 inches by 16 1/2 ...
- EQUVALENT RATIO - When a photo is reduced or enlarged, its length to width ratio...