Posted by Please Help on Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 11:45pm.
Kate is going to carpet her living room floor and drew the diagram shown.
(I am not able to submit the drawn diagram. However I will try to describe) The diagram is a rectangle:
It is 16 feet at the top showing a right angle at the top left and a right angle at the top right. It is 11 feet on the left side with a right angle on the bottom left. It is 14 feet on the right side with a right angle on the bottom right. It is 10 feet on the bottom showing a right angle about 3/4 of the way adjacent to the right angle on the bottom right side of the rectangle.
What is the minimum number of square feet of carpet she will need?
a. 51 sq feet
b. 60 sq feet
c. 194 sq feet
d. 244 sq feet
Am I suppose to add all the sides together to get the answer?
5th grade Math - drwls, Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 4:48am
I don't see how the room can be a rectangle since the right and left side lengths are not equal. The top and bottom lengths (16 and 10) are also not equal. I would need a figure to see what is going on here.
Break the room area up into rectangles and add them up. Usually when buying carpet for a nonrectangular room, one buys more than you need so that smaller areas do not have to be patched together.
5th grade Math - Reiny, Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 8:37am
I agree with dwrls that you are not clear in the last part of your description.
I conclude that you have a smaller rectangel, 3 by 6, attached to the bottom right of your larger rectangle of 11 by 16
The area of that would be
11x16 + 6x3 = 194
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- science - Shown below is a rough sketch of the unary phase diagram (pressure vs...
- math - Yani wants to make a scale diagram of the floor plan of his school. He ...
- Grade 6 Maths - Find a formula which gives the number of matches, S, required to...
- 11th grade specialist math - I'm not sure whether this question is too difficult...
- Math - Each diagram in a sequence of 3 diagrams is obtained by drawing a 1 unit ...
- MATH 11 - Yani wants to make a scale diagram of the floor plan of his school. He...
- Grade 11 Chemistry - Why does methanol dissolve well in water. Explain using a ...
- logic and set theory - describe the venn diagram for two disjoint sets. how does...
- Basic Math Venn Diagram - Hi! Having a lot of trouble with this one problem. ...
- Mathematrics - Each diagram in the sequence is obtained by drawing of a 1 unit ...