Posted by Jordan on Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 5:59pm.
A person on a small, 7.00 meter high, hill aims a water-balloon slingshot straight at a friend hanging from a tree branch 4.00 meters above and 6.00 meters away. At the instant the water balloon is released at 7.00 m/s, the friend lets go and falls from the tree, hoping to avoid being hit by the water balloon. Calculate the following:
(a) the time for balloon to reach tree ______________s
(b) the height of balloon at that time ________________m
(c) the height of the falling friend at that time ___________________m
i don't even know where to begin. thanks!
physics =( - MathMate, Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 9:42pm
Draw a picture.
It is not clear to me where the 7m hill comes in. If I interpreted it correctly, it is of no use except that it permits the water balloon and the person to fall freely below the ground!
D=horizontal distance between the two friends = 6m
V=vertical distance between the two friends = 4m
u= initial velocity of the balloon making an angle θ (theta) with the horizontal = 7 m/s
ux=horizontal component of initial velocity = ucos(θ)
uy=vertical component of initial velocity = usin(θ)
H1(t)=height above initial level of balloon at time t
H2(t)=height of friend measured from top of tree at time t
= 0 -(1/2)gt²
1. Time to reach tree
T = D/ux
Note that H1 is measured from ground, and H2 is measured from top of tree, at 4 m above ground.
My calculations tell me that the balloon hits the poor friend.
physics =) - MathMate, Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 10:08pm
Forgot to mention:
θ=(theta) is the angle aimed directly at the friend, so
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - a boy on a small hill aims his water ballon slingshot horizontally ...
- Physics - A monkey is hanging from a branch located exactly 24 meters along the ...
- AP Physics - A monkey is hanging from a branch located exactly 24 meters along ...
- Physics - A person wants to launch a water balloon and hit the top of a tower, ...
- Physics - A water balloon is thrown horizontally at a speed of 2.00 m/s from a ...
- Physics(pleaseee help!!) - You drop a water balloon on your friend’s head from ...
- Physics - URGENT - A water balloon is launched at a speed of 23 m/s and an angle...
- physics - a hot-air balloon having initial velocity vi as it ascends. Then, a ...
- physics - A water balloon was dropped from a high window and struck its target 1...
- Physics - A water balloon launcher launches a balloon straight up at a flying ...