Posted by Priscilla on Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 3:31pm.
I have to write a comparative essay and I'm stuck on something. My topic is to discuss symbolism in Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton and The Story of One Hour by Kate Chopin. I have to explain the similarities between the two books by using symbolism. I chosen two symbols from Ethan frome which are mattie silver's red scarf and red ribbon and the final sled run. I also chosen two symbols from the story of one hour which is the heart trouble and compared it w/ the final sled run and the open window to compare it with mattie's red scarf and etc.
But what im confused about is should the essay be entirely on symbolism. Can i include the setting of these stories and state how it furthers your understanding of symbolism or should i just not include the setting? I also thinking about including the puritans values which is almost similar to ethan frome because red is a major symbol throughout ethan frome.
Thanks a lot, i really appreciate this. =)
- AP English - SraJMcGin, Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 3:37pm
That all relates to symbolism, does it not?
- AP English - Priscilla, Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 3:40pm
Yes, basically you have to discuss symbolism in the stories and choose at least two symbolic objects in each story and explain how Edith Wharton gives them significant meaning.
---> Should i include setting and state how it furthers your understanding of symbolism because the final sled run as symbolism in ethan frome and open window as symbolism in the story of one hour both revolve around setting to show the true meaning of the story. I also thinking about including the puritan values and how it's similar to ethan frome.
- AP English - Writeacher, Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 3:42pm
I would organize this paper like this:
II. Brief synopsis of both stories (emphasis on "brief"!!)
III. Symbolism in first story
IV. Symbolism in second story
V. Opinion(s) about symbolism in both stories.
VI. Overall conclusion
- AP English - Writeacher, Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 3:43pm
My suggested section V. = your own opinions about symbolism; the conclusions you have drawn about how symbolism is used in stories like these; etc. (But not the conclusion to the entire paper... yet.)
- AP English - Priscilla, Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 3:45pm
Okay, thanks. So i guess i shouldn't include setting since it will steal away from symbolism. But should i include the puritans values? I was thinking about including how both writing style show romanticism. The similarities is Ethan Frome and Mrs. Mallard wish both of their spouser was dead so they have their freedom and independence and they start planning for their future. But when they see an image of their spouser they both go into a state of shock.
- AP English - Writeacher, Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 3:49pm
Yes, in that second section (may or may not be one paragraph; could be two), you could include setting and anything else about the two stories that your reader needs to understand before reading your paper on symbolism.
And remember that those Roman numerals stand for sections, not always single paragraphs.
- AP English - Priscilla, Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 6:30pm
Ok, I should of said thanks. Thanks a lot! This really helps me.
- AP English - Writeacher, Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 6:47pm
I'm glad it helps. You're very welcome. Now ... go get an A!! =)
Answer this Question
- Literature - (Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton) discuss whartons use of short ...
- English - I am doing my research paper on Character Anaylsis of Ethan Frome, ...
- writing - Iam having trouble coming up with a thesis and Ineed help , the book i...
- english - Has anyone read Kate Chopin is so could you check my answers? 1. When ...
- english - do you agree with what the writer has said in "the story of an hour" ...
- english II - MECHANICS (errors in the use of italics) answers is A.The ...
- english-1B - Is the climax on "The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin artistically ...
- what do you think this is asking... - For English, I have an assignment that ...
- Jackson - in the story of an hour Kate Chopin is primarily concerned with the
- English comparative essay - Okay well i have to do a comparative essay of A.E ...