Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 11:22am.
Could you please explain the difference between PRENDRE and EMPOTER.
Is it correct to say:
Je prends le livre de la table
or do I need to say:
j'emporte le livre de la table
Is there no difference in French between WARM and HOT? Are both of them
I am warm - j'ai chaud
I am hot - j'ai chaud or would I then say: j'ai très chaud
- French - Kanon, Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 11:58am
"Prendre" and " emporter " are synonyms. That means the same thing.It depends on the context.
But you should say " Je prends le livre de la table ", I think it' s better.
The other one is also true.
By the way, " je prends le livre qui est sur la table " is much better :)
I am warm = J' ai chaud
I am hot = J' ai très chaud
I hope i' m right :)
- French - SraJMcGin, Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 1:24pm
Right you are, Kanon! (on the warm vs. hot)
Just to add a bit:
prendre = to take; take on; take up; catch; get (obtain & bring); steal (a kiss); buy (a ticket); make (an appointment)
empoter = to pot (a plant)
emporter = to take away; carry of; remove
Depending upon the context, of course, various meanings are best. Be sure to always give the entire context, or exactly how the word is used.
Sra (aka Mme)
- French - Anonymous, Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 2:14pm
Thank you very much!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- FRENCH - I know that "prendre" and "emporter"(for portable items) both mean "to ...
- French - In the book it says: ce livre est à toi could I not also say: ce livre ...
- FRENCH - Bonjour, I know that "I would like to have a book" translates to: "je ...
- french - would it be correct to say: je n'ai pas besoin d'un livre et d'un stylo...
- FRENCH - so, if I would like to say: You cannot give us a book (you are unable ...
- French help please!!! - Match the correct form of the ver être with the subject ...
- French - In this assignment, answer the questions below in complete sentences, ...
- French - Can some one correct my book report please! Et si c’était vrai… est un ...
- French - We ask "Vous voulez un livre?" and then why do we have to answer by "Je...
- PLEASE HELP MS SUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!4 - when creating an input/output table ...