Posted by bren on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 4:30pm.
21. Payne (2001) gave participants a computerized task in which they first see a
face and then a picture of either a gun or a tool. The task was to press one button
if it was a tool and a different one if it was a gun. Unknown to the participants
while they were doing the study, the faces served as a “prime”
(something that starts you thinking a particular way) and half the time were of a
black person and half the time of a white person. Table 2–8 shows the means
and standard deviations for reaction times (time to decide if the picture is of a
gun or a tool) after either a black or white prime. (In Experiment 2, participants
were told to decide as fast as possible.) Explain the results to a person who has
never had a course in statistics. (Be sure to explain some specific numbers as
well as the general principle of the mean and standard deviation.)
8 Mean Reaction Times (in Milliseconds) in Identifying
Guns and Tools in Experiments 1 and 2
Target M SD M SD
Gun 423 64 441 73
Tool 454 57 446 60
Gun 299 28 295 31
Tool 307 29 304 29
statistics - PsyDAG, Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 1:38pm
Since you don't indicate what test(s) you are using, it is harder to explain.
Is the variation in means or standard deviations significant or due to chance? That would be a good starting point.
The teacher wants to know if you understand what is happening. If you can explain something clearly to others, this indicates that you understand. Do you?
I hope this helps.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Statistics - . Payne (2001) gave participants a computerized task in which they ...
- statistics - Payne (2001) gave participants a computerized task in which they ...
- statastics - 21. Payne (2001) gave participants a computerized task in which ...
- statistics - On a standard anagram task, people successfully complete an average...
- Physics - An astronaut is taking a space walk near the shuttle when her safety ...
- Education/Technology - Many classroom resource materials include Web resources ...
- English composition - This is my digital camera. I will explain this digiatal ...
- Technology - Please tell me if this is correct: 14. Which type of machine has a ...
- Science...ANSWER ASAP - i've lost my task sheet and i can't find it online. but ...
- Biology - What is a molecular clock? A)a tool scientists use to date fossils B)a...