Posted by Michelle on Monday, December 7, 2009 at 8:30pm.
A recent article in a computer magazine suggested that the mean time to fully learn a new software program is 40 hours. A sample of 100 first time users of a new statistics program revealed the mean time to learn it was 39 hours with the standard deviation of 5 hours. At the 0.05 significance level, can we conclude that users learn the package in less than a mean of 40 hours?
a. State the null and alternate hypotheses.
b. State the decision rule.
c. Compute the value of the test statistic.
d. Compute the p-value.
e. What is your decision regarding the null hypothesis? Interpret the result.
- college Math - MathGuru, Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 7:17pm
Ho: µ = 40 --->meaning the population mean is equal to 40.
H1: µ < 40 ---> meaning the population mean is less than 40.
This will be a one-tailed test because the alternative hypothesis is showing a specific direction.
Use a z-test. Find the significance level for a one-tailed test using a z-table. Compare the test statistic from the z-test to the value from the z-table. If the test statistic exceeds the value in the table, then reject the null and conclude µ < 40. The p-value is the actual level of the test statistic found using a z-table.
Here is a z-test formula to get you started:
z = (sample mean - population mean)/(standard deviation divided by the square root of the sample size)
Sample mean = 39
Population mean = 40
Standard deviation = 5
Sample size = 100
Fill the values into the formula and compute the test statistic.
I'll let you take it from here.
I hope this will help get you started.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Statistics - A recent article in a computer magazine suggested that the mean ...
- RESEARCH AND EVALUATION II - A recent article in a computer magazine suggested ...
- stastics - A recent article in a computer magazine suggested that the mean time ...
- college - A computer manufacturer is about to unveil a new, faster personal ...
- Statistics - A computer manufacturer is about to unveil a new, faster personal ...
- statistics - A computer manufacturer is about to unveil a new, faster personal ...
- Statistics - A market research company employs a large number of typists to ...
- Probability - Another Probability Question- A computer manufacturer is about to ...
- statistics - A sample of 352 subscribers to Wired magazine shows the mean time ...
- statistics - in order to estimate the mean amount of time computer users spend ...