Posted by john on Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 9:59pm.
find the range of the following functions
- PRE CALCULUS - Reiny, Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 10:02pm
If you mean
g(x) = x/(x-2) then the range is all real values of y except y = 1
- PRE CALCULUS - john, Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 10:05pm
how did you get that and how would you graph this function
- PRE CALCULUS - Reiny, Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 10:17pm
as x --> ±∞
the value of x/(x-2) approaches 1, but no value of x will give us 1
try solving 1 = x/(x-2)
x-2 = x
0 = 2 , which is a contradiction, so no value of x makes x.(x-2) equal to 1
e.g. let x = 1000000
then g(x) or y = 1000000/999998 = 1.000002
let x = -1000000
then y = -1000000/-1000002 = .999998
so y = 1 is a horizontal asymptote
there is also a vertical asymptote at x=2, since x=2 makes y undefined.
the graph will be a hyperbola with major axis as y = x - 1 and centre (2,1)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- pre calculus - Find the inverse of the following function. Find the domain, ...
- Calculus - Find the sum and difference functions f + g and f – g for the ...
- Pre-calculus - Find the interquartile range and the semi-interquartile range of ...
- Calculus - given f(x)=x-3 and g(x)=1/x-4 find the domain and range of the ...
- Calculus - Math questions, please help me? :(? Find the composite functions f o ...
- Pre-Cal. - find the inverse of the following function. Find the domain, range,...
- pre calculus - consider the functions f(x)=x^3-3 and g(x)=3 sqrt x+3: a. find f(...
- Pre-Calc/Trig - Helpp please State the domain and range of each of the following...
- calculus - Find the inverse of the following function. Find the domain, range, ...
- Pre-calculus - Given the following values for f(t): t : f(t) 3 : -7 6 : 6 9 : 19...