Posted by L on Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 2:45pm.
Please help me with this, below is a question I have to answer…below that is my answer…did I do, or answer this correctly?
Post a response of at least 50 words to the following: Explain how to graph linear equations using the x- and y-intercepts. Provide an example to support your response.
When graphing a linear equation using the x and y intercepts, we first need to be familiar with what the x-intercept is, and what the y-intercept is. The x-intercept of the graph of a function, or linear equation is the point where the graph crosses the x axis, whereas the y-intercept is the point when the graph crosses the y axis. Only one line can be drawn through two points that are given. So if we know the intercepts we can draw a line, or graph the line. Therefore, we graph a linear equation by finding the intercepts by solving for x, then solving for y, or vise versa.
For example if I wanted to find and graph the x, and y intercept of the linear equation: 4x+6y=24
I would first solve for y by letting x=o, such as: 4(0) +6y=24
So, the y intercept is (0, 4)
Now, to find the x intercept we do the same as we did for finding why, but instead of letting x=o, we let y=0
So, the x intercept is (6, 0)
Now that we have the points we can graph
For the x-intercept we first move to the right 6 times and because the second point is a zero, we plot on the line. Now to plot the y-intercept, we start at zero and stay because that is our first point, then to plot the second point we move by four and plot. Now we graph y drawing a straight line through the two given points. To check if this is correct, it is a good thing to solve by using a third point to check. I will use 3 in the place for x and solve for y.
So, the next set we plot will be (3,2): we move to the right 3 times and up 2 and plot, then graph by drawing a line through this point.
This set of points is on the line.
Math/Algebra - bobpursley, Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 2:46pm
again, exactly right.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Use the graph below to answer the following question. I'll post the link ...
- Math-due today, need a check - Please help me with this, below is a question I ...
- MATH - PLEASE HELP! - Need help with combining like terms How do I figure this ...
- Science - Start of Physics - I need help with the following: Given below is the ...
- Geometry - I HAVE A QUESTION. When I post a question and there is now response ...
- Math - Please Help Check My Answer - Please help me with the following question...
- algebra - graph each of the following equations below using their intercepts?. ...
- Math \ Algebra - Hello! Can you check my answers for these questions? Thank you ...
- Algebra - Below is the graph of a polynomial function f with real coefficients. ...
- MATH - Give a response of at least 50 words to the following: Describe the graph...