Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 8:27am.
Using the standard reduction potentials, calculate the equilibrium constant for each of the following reactions at 298 K.
10Br- + 2MnO4- + 16H+ -> 2Mn2+ + 8H20 + 5Br2
2Br- -> Br2 + 2e- (This would be multiplied by 5 to balance out with the upper equation.)
MnO4- + 8H+ + 5e- -> Mn2+ +4H20 (This would be multiplied by 2 to balance out with the upper equation.)
The standard reduction potential for Br- is +1.065.
The standard reduction potential for MnO4- is +1.51.
- Chemistry - DrBob222P, Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 11:27am
Look up that equation, nEF = -lnK (I'm not at home and can't confirm that equation so check it out) but that is the one you want to use.
- Chemistry - Anonymous, Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 10:14pm
I looked back through my notes and found the following equations:
K = e^(-delta G/RT)
Delta G = -nFE
I know that E = standard reduction of the reduced - standard reduction of the oxidized
I've tried plugging everything I have in, but I'm not getting the right answer. I can't figure out what it is that I am doing wrong.
I have E = 1.51 - 1.065 and n = 10
- Chemistry - Anon, Friday, March 29, 2013 at 8:13pm
So I have that
1.51 V - 1.065 V = .445 V = E
ΔG = - 10 mol * 96485 J / mol*V * .445 V
ΔG = -429358 J
so then plugging in:
K = e^(-(-429358)/(8.314 J/mol*K * 298 K))
K = 1.82 * 10^75
The 'correct' answer appears to be 1.5 * 10^75 , but that's not far off, and my homework program accepted my answer as correct.
Answer this Question
- chemistry... HELP - Equilibrium constant question!!!? Standard reduction ...
- Chemistry need help - using standard potentials given in the appendices ...
- Inorganic chemistry - Calculate E naught cell for the reaction b 5Cd(s) + 2MnO4...
- CHEMISTRY HELP! - Consider the following reactions and their equilibrium ...
- Chemistry - Using standard reduction potentials, show that one can prepare an ...
- chemistry - "Write equations for the half-reactions that occur at the anode and ...
- Chemistry - For the following electrochemical cell: Fe(s) / Fe2+(aq) // MnO4(aq...
- chemistry - Calculate the equilibrium constant for 2CH3OH(l)+3O2(g)->2CO2(g...
- Chemistry - Calculate the value of the equilibrium constant (Kc) for the ...
- Chemistry - Using standard reduction potentials, calculate the standard E”Ęcell...