Posted by Cyn on Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 9:16pm.
The half-life of sodium-24 is 14.9 hours. A hospital buys a 40 mg sample of sodium-24.
a) How many grams, to the nearest tenth, of sodium-21 will remain after 48 h?
b) After how long will only 2.5 mg remain?
I don't know how to write the exponential function in order to be able to solve this. ><
MATH - solving exponential equations - Reiny, Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 10:28pm
amount = 40(1/2)^(t/14.9) , where t is the number of hours.
test: if t = 0, Amount = 40 , Check!
if t = 14.9
amount = 40(1/2)^1 = 20 , Check!
a) if t = 48
Amount = 40(1/2)^(48/14.9)
= appr. 4.29 g
b) 2.5 = 40(1/2)^(t/14.9)
.0625 = (.5)^(t/14.9)
t/14.9 = ln.0625/ln.5
t/14.9 = 4
t = 4(14.9) = 59.6 hours
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - The radioactive isotope sodium-24 is used as a tracer to measure the rate...
- Chemistry - A sample of sodium-24 with an activity of 12 mCi is used to study ...
- math grade 12 - 2. An isotope of sodium has a half-life of 15 h. A sample of ...
- chemistry - a sample of sodium-24 with an activity of 12 mCi is used to study ...
- physical science - sodium-24 has a half life of 15 hours,how much of a 50 gram ...
- chemistry - 2.The data in the table show the amount of a 500 g sample of sodium-...
- chemistry - The data in the table show the amount of a 500 g sample of sodium-24...
- Chemistry - Which radioactive sample would contain the greatest remaining mass ...
- Chem - What percentage of sodium-24 with a half life of 15.0 hr would remain ...
- math - One-half serving of soy sauce contains 389 milligrams of sodium. How many...