Posted by Lilly on Monday, November 30, 2009 at 6:04pm.
Write an equation in a standard form of the line that passes through (3,1) and has a y-intercept of-2 .
My book does not have problems like this so PLEASE help me!!!!!!!!!
- Math - Reiny, Monday, November 30, 2009 at 6:31pm
given the y-intercept of -2 implies you have a second point (0,-2)
so the slope is (-2-1)/(0-3) = -3/-3 = 1
You now have the slope and the y-intercept.
Can you take it from here ?
- Math - Lilly, Monday, November 30, 2009 at 6:33pm
- Math - Reiny, Monday, November 30, 2009 at 6:38pm
from the information so far we would have
y = x - 2
or x - y = 2
You can always check if your equation is correct by subbing in the given points.
notice for your equation and using (3,1)
we would get
3+1 = 2 ??
- Math - Lilly, Monday, November 30, 2009 at 6:40pm
How would you get a positive 2 though?
- Math - Reiny, Monday, November 30, 2009 at 6:44pm
I had better put my glasses on.
I read your equation as x+y = 2, didn't notice the - sign in front.
- Math - Lilly, Monday, November 30, 2009 at 6:46pm
thats ok, so would it be 4 ?
I now got -3x+y=-2
- Math - Reiny, Monday, November 30, 2009 at 7:30pm
no, I thought you understood when I told you it was x-y = 2.
Let's try it again:
(3,1) and (0,-2)
slope = (-2-1)/(0-3) = 1
then using y = mx + b
we have y = (1)x - 2
or -x + y = -2
x - y = 2
- Math - Anonymous, Monday, November 30, 2009 at 8:01pm
ok thanks, sorry!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Algebra 1 - Algebra 1 help please :( Use the point-slope from linear equation ...
- Math - 1. Use point-slope form to write the equation of a line that has a slope ...
- Quick math help - My math exam is coming up Friday and I need help!! Can you ...
- math - I have a few question so I will number them off. Please answer them for ...
- math - A line passes through the origin and the point (-6, 4). Write the ...
- Math please. - What is the y-intercept of y = 2/3x + 2? I have to write it out ...
- Algebra II - Can you make sure my Algebra II work is correct? I've done the ...
- Algebra - Choose 1 set of points from the choices below. Then, solve the problem...