Posted by A.J. on Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 9:16pm.
Jason and Mary have a new baby. They want to invest $20,000 at the baby’s birth in order to have $100,000 for the baby’s college education. What interest rate do they need to earn in order to achieve this in 18 years?
Use the following formula to determine the average interest rate:
r = (S/P)^1/n – 1
where S = the final amount
P = the initial investment
n = number of years
Algebra - Damon, Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 9:47pm
yes. S = P (1+r)^n
100 = 20 (1+r)^18
(1+r)^18 = 5
18 log (1+r) = log 5
using base 10 logs
18 log(1+r) = .699
log(1+r) = .0388
1+r = 1.0935
r = .0935
times 100 = 9.35 %
Algebra - A.J., Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 9:55pm
Thanks for the help but I still don't understand. What does log and antilog stand for?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- French - Does anyone know a list of baby animals in French, or know specifically...
- College Statistics - How much should you invest each month in order to have $800...
- english - 1. You have to feed the baby with water sometimes. 2. You have to feed...
- English - Do not watch volence TV programs. It is not good for the baby. If the ...
- baby care - if a breastfed baby is suffering from gas,the reason may be that the...
- law - 1. Mrs. Jones agreed to a surrogate motherhood arrangement in which she ...
- microbiology - A woman brings her 6 month old son to the dr. The chief complaint...
- algebra - a premature baby weighs only 3 pounds, 2 ounces at birth. After 16 ...
- FIN - Jesse, Inc., located in Mesa, Arizona, manufactures high-end baby chairs. ...
- accounting - Jesse, Inc., located in Mesa, Arizona, manufactures high-end baby ...