Posted by A.J. on Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 9:16pm.
Jason and Mary have a new baby. They want to invest $20,000 at the baby’s birth in order to have $100,000 for the baby’s college education. What interest rate do they need to earn in order to achieve this in 18 years?
Use the following formula to determine the average interest rate:
r = (S/P)^1/n – 1
where S = the final amount
P = the initial investment
n = number of years
- Algebra - Damon, Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 9:47pm
yes. S = P (1+r)^n
100 = 20 (1+r)^18
(1+r)^18 = 5
18 log (1+r) = log 5
using base 10 logs
18 log(1+r) = .699
log(1+r) = .0388
1+r = 1.0935
r = .0935
times 100 = 9.35 %
- Algebra - A.J., Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 9:55pm
Thanks for the help but I still don't understand. What does log and antilog stand for?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- French - Does anyone know a list of baby animals in French, or know specifically...
- english - 1. You have to feed the baby with water sometimes. 2. You have to feed...
- English - Do not watch volence TV programs. It is not good for the baby. If the ...
- baby care - if a breastfed baby is suffering from gas,the reason may be that the...
- microbiology - A woman brings her 6 month old son to the dr. The chief complaint...
- algebra - a premature baby weighs only 3 pounds, 2 ounces at birth. After 16 ...
- English - 1. You should dress him up. 2. You should make the baby wear socks. 3...
- physics - at birth,baby jordaan weighed 3kg and his length was measured to 0.40m...
- algebra - a baby weight only 9.9 ounces at birth. how much lighter was she than ...
- Physics - Astrology, that unlikely and vague pseudoscience, makes much of the ...