Posted by Lola on Friday, November 27, 2009 at 2:15am.
A boy is whirling around a stone tied at the end of a 0.71 m long string at constant angular speed of 4 revolutions per second in a plane perpendicular to the ground. The string breaks when it is making an angle of 54 degrees above the horizontal and the stone is on the way up. The stone is 0.93 m above the ground when this happens. How long does the stone take to hit the ground after the string breaks?
- Physics - MathMate, Friday, November 27, 2009 at 3:12pm
"a stone tied at the end of a 0.71 m long string"
"4 revolutions per second"
Tangential speed, v0
"The stone is 0.93 m above the ground"
Distance above ground, h
"an angle of 54 degrees above the horizontal"
Vertical component of initial velocity, vv
Let t=time it takes to hit ground,
-0.93 = vv*t+(1/2)(-9.8)t²
Solve for t.
I get -0.051 sec. or 4 sec. approx.
We reject -0.051 because t>0.
- Physics - Lilly, Friday, November 27, 2009 at 4:57pm
I tried doing the problem your way, but I got confused at the end.
For the equation S = w*t + (1/2)(-9.8)t**2, what was the value of w?
When I tried using w = v0 (17.844m/s), I got the same answers as yours
But when I tried using w = v0sin54 (14.4363m/s), I got different answers. I'm not sure which way is right. I'm leaning toward the latter one.
- Physics - MathMate, Friday, November 27, 2009 at 5:44pm
You're quite right.
I have calculated for 5 revolutions per second. That is why they don't match your answers, which are on the right track.
I get now -0.06 and 3 seconds, and -0.06 is to be rejected.
What do you get for your answers?
Sorry for the inconvenience.
- Physics - Lilly, Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 1:40am
Yes, I also got -0.06 and 3.00 seconds, so obviously the answer is 3.00 seconds.
Thanks for your help :)
- Physics - MathMate, Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 8:21am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- PHYSICS - A boy is whirling around a stone tied at the end of a 0.55 m long ...
- physics - a .150kg object tied to a string is whirled in a horizontal circle ata...
- physics - A certain string can withstand a maximum tension of 40 N without ...
- physics - A stone tied to the end of a string, 80 cm long, is whirled in a ...
- physics - a stone is tied to the end of a string and is swung with a constant ...
- science - a stone weighing 0.2kg tied to the end of the string 0.6m long whorld ...
- Physics/Math - A certain string can withstand a maximum tension of 43 N without ...
- p - A certain string can withstand a maximum tension of 41 N without breaking. A...
- PHYSICS - 8) A rock of mass 400 g is tied to one end of a string that is 2.0 m ...
- physics - A mass 5kg is whirled in a horizontal circle @ 1 end of a string 50cm ...