Posted by Zach on Saturday, November 21, 2009 at 5:18pm.
The perimeter of a rectangle is 34 feet and the area measures 60 square feet.
What are the length and width of the rectangle?
(Hint: Use the equations :
perimeter = times the sum of the length and the width
area = length times width)
- Math - RIFA, Saturday, November 21, 2009 at 6:51pm
- Math - Reiny, Saturday, November 21, 2009 at 7:47pm
2(l+w) = 34
l+w = 17 ,#1
lw = 60 , #2
from #1, w = 17-l
l(17-l) = 60
-l^2 + 17l - 60 = 0
l^2 - 17l + 60 = 0
(l-5)(l-12) = 0
so l=5 or l=12
if l=5 then w = 12
if l=12 then w = 5
The rectangle is 5 by 12
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- basic geometric - 10. a rectangle has width the same as a side of a square whose...
- Math - The perimeter of a rectangle is 52 feet. The length is 2 feet shorter ...
- Geometry - The length of a rectangle is 3x+10 feet and its width is x+12 feet. ...
- algebra - What is the width of a rectangle with a perimeter of 70 feet if its ...
- maths - the length of a rectangle is 3 less than 5 times its width. Write a ...
- math - The length, l, of a rectangle is 2 feet less than three times the width, ...
- algebra - the area of a rectangle is 425 square feet. if the perimeter is 84 ...
- Algebra Homework, HELP! - 1) A rectangle has an area of 297 square inches and a...
- Geometry - The perimeter of a rectangle is 76 feet. If the width is doubled and ...
- grade 3 math - 1) what is the greates perimeter of a rectangle with an area of ...