Posted by Kimberly on Friday, November 20, 2009 at 10:08pm.
To determine what effect the salespeople had on purchases, a department store polled 700 shoppers as to whether or not they had made a purchase and whether or not they were pleased with the service. Of those who had made a purchase, 125 were happy with the service and 111 were not. Of those who had made no purchase, 148 were happy with the service and 316 were not.
Find the probability that a shopper who was happy with the service had made a purchase (round the answer to the nearest hundredth).
What can you conclude?
About what percent of those who were happy with the service made a purchase?
- Math - Reiny, Friday, November 20, 2009 at 11:26pm
the transition matrix would be
..... : happy not happy
....buy 125/236 111/236
not buy 148/464 316/464 or
│.53 .47 │
│.32 .68 │
so [a b] x [transition matrix] = [a b]
where a+b= 1
I got .53a + .32b = a or 32b = 47a
and .47a + .68b = b
we only need the first of these relations and the fact that a+b = 1
then a = 1-b
and 32b = 47a
32b = 47(1-b)
32b = 47 - 47b
79b = 47
b = .595 then a = .405
(This is the first time I have seen this kind of question in this forum, and its been over 12 years since I have done one like it. So I am not 100% sure of my work here)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- statistic - A survey was made of 100 customers in a department store. 70 of the ...
- math - Q1.A cooperative store is interested in knowing whether there is any ...
- statistics - An employer polled its employers to see if they agree with the ...
- statistics - 3 In 1999, a sample of 200 in-store shoppers showed that 42 paid by...
- stats - Usin7) An employer polled its employers to see if they agree with the ...
- Exercice - The Stop N’ Go convenience chain recently selected a random sample ...
- statistics - If a major Internet store wants to estimate the percentage of adult...
- statistics - A sample of 275 shoppers at a large suburban mall were asked two ...
- math - Nick has a revolving department store credit card account with an annual ...
- Math - A mall has three department stores, J C Penney, Macy’s, and Sears. A ...