Posted by Amie on Friday, November 20, 2009 at 11:46am.
5x -3 = 11 + 12x
combine like figures
add 3 to both sides to remove the 3
5x= 14+ 12x
Now I get confused. If I remove the 12x I have to subtract 12x from 5x which gives me an answer of -7x=14 would the correct answer thus be x= -2?
algebra - bobpursley, Friday, November 20, 2009 at 11:48am
you have it, x=-2
algebra - Amie, Friday, November 20, 2009 at 11:50am
algebra - Reiny, Friday, November 20, 2009 at 11:52am
You are correct, no reason to become confused, your steps are ok
After solving any equation, you can always check your answer by simply subbing it back into equation.
If it is correct the left side (LS) will be equal to the right side (RS)
LS = 5(-2)-3 = -10-3 = -13
RS = 11 + 12(-2) = 11 - 24 = -13
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra2 - 1/3 - 5/6 = 1/X SOLVE 1/3 - 5/6 = 1/X Let's remove the denominators ...
- Algebra. Please check my answers - Evaluate a/b+c^d for a=6,b=3,c=4 and d=5 A.42...
- algebra - 24x^4-12x^3+48x^2/-4x 24x^4-12x^3+12(-1) 24x^4-12x^3+(-12x) 2x^4-12x^3...
- Calculus!! HELP!! - 1) The sides of the triangle shown increase in such a way ...
- calc - What is dy/dx of y=12/12X-y^3 ???? Any idea anyone??? y=12/12X-y^3 I ...
- math - how do i do x2+12x+32 x2+12x = 14x+32 subtract 14x from each side 14x=32 ...
- Algebra - Can someone please check my work for me. Q: Plot the graph of the ...
- math - The rectangle given has a perimeter of 14 units. Find the value(s) of x ...
- Algebra - 2(3x - 7) + 4 (3 x + 2) = 6 (5 x + 9 ) + 3 how will solve it? well you...
- algebra1 - could you walk-through the steps to solving this problem because I am...