Posted by Izzy on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 4:56pm.
Write the slope intercept form of an equation for the line that passes through (5,3) and is parallel to x+3y=6 . Please help me solve!!!!!!!!!!
- Math - bobpursley, Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 5:01pm
put the given equation into slope intercept form.
y=-1/3 x +6
so the slope is -1/3
Now, your new line will be of the form
y=mx+b. To be parallel, it must have a slope of -1/3.
y=-1/3 x + b
Now put the point on the line (5,3), and solve for b, and you have it, both m, and b.
- Math - Izzy, Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 5:08pm
How would you solve for b?
- Math - bobpursley, Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 5:10pm
put y=3, x=5 into
y=-1/3 x+ b
solve for b.
- Math - Izzy, Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 5:18pm
ok thank you!! I got y=1/3x+4/5
- Math - bobpursley, Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 5:30pm
well that is not right at all.
y=-1/3 x + b
b= y+1/3 x=3+5/3= 4 2/3 which is not 4/5
Did I make an error?
- Math - Izzy, Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 5:58pm
I Have no idea...I put in the #s so that it was 3=1/3(5)+b
- Math - Izzy, Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 6:20pm
I see what I did wrong, forgot the negative sign.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- Math - 1. Use point-slope form to write the equation of a line that has a slope ...
- Algebra2 - Write an equation for the line in point/slope form and slope/...
- Algebra - 1.Write an equation in slope- intercept form of the line that passes ...
- Algebra 1 ( bobpursley) - 1. Write an equation in slope-intercept form for the ...
- math - I have a few question so I will number them off. Please answer them for ...
- algebra[please check] - in questions 1 and 2, write an equation of the line in ...
- ALGEBRA - Solve for y intercepts 7x+y=-2 Answer: Y = -2 7x + 2y = 4 Answer: Y...
- algebra - Write an equation in slope-intercept form for each described line. 1....