Posted by Jon on Monday, November 9, 2009 at 11:07pm.
A 60.0 kg girl stands up on a stationary floating raft and decides to go into shore. She dives off the 180 kg floating raft with a velocity of 4.0 m/s [W]. Ignore the substantial friction real objects in water experience.
a) What is the momentum of the girl as she is diving?
b) What is the momentum of raft as the girl is diving?
c) What is the final speed of the raft just after the girl dives?
a) * Let [W] be +ive.
b) a little confused about this one, is it p=mv, and then =(180kg)(4.0m/s)=720kg/(m/s). this doesn't make sense because the raft doesn't have a velocity of 4m/s. (and it does say the raft is stationary- is it possible that the momentum=0?)i was thinking about calculating impulse, but i don't have the information. please help with this one.
c) for this one, i'm going to use p=p' (initial momentum=final momentum), and then work it out to be mv1 + mv2 = mv1' + mv2' where 1 is the girl, and two is the raft.. sub in what i know, and solve for v2'. in this case, would i use v1= 240 kg/(m/s) from part a, (ifso, what would i put for v1'), or would i put 0 for V1, and 240 for v1'? Thennnn, i would have to deal with the raft which i hope i get figured out from part b !
Thanks in advance!
Physics - Dr. Loveday, Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 8:50am
For the the first part you have it right. For the second part, the momentum equals zero because the momentum before she just is zero. After she jumps, the make the total momentum zero, the momentum of the raft and the momentum of the girl must be equal in size but opposite in direction.
For the third part is the same. 0= (Mass of girl)*(velocity of girl) + (Mass of raft)*(velocity of raft)
Physics - Zain, Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 12:10am
So first you have to account for the size of Dea's ass. But who am i kidding, we know suhu will go for stacie so we will have to find his initial velocity and momentum as he run towards her. Next we find the force applied as he smacks that ass of fafa
Physics - jame, Monday, June 6, 2016 at 1:42pm
can someone just do this question step by step quick time? there better be an answer in the next minute!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics word problem - A 60.0 kg girl stands up on a stationary floating raft ...
- Physics - A 60.0 kg girl stands up on a stationary floating raft and decides to ...
- physics - A 49.4 kg swimmer is standing on a stationary 214 kg floating raft. ...
- Physics - Here's the question: A 55 kg swimmer is standing on a stationary 235 ...
- Physics - A 71 kg girl dives off a raft 2.34 square meters floating in a ...
- Physics - A sunbather lying on a floating raft that experiences no friction with...
- physics - A 55-kg woman contestant on a reality television show is at rest at ...
- Physics - A 220 kg wooden raft sits on a lake. When a 75 kg man stands on the ...
- Physics - A woman on a bridge 91.1 m high sees a raft floating at a constant ...
- physics - A woman on a bridge 81.6 m high sees a raft floating at a constant ...