Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 6:23pm.
Solve. If the equation has no real solution, say so.
Square root 3x+4 =x
- Algebra 2 URGENT PLEASE HELP - Reiny, Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 7:11pm
Is it √(3x+4) or √(3x) + 4 ?
If first version
√(3x+4) = x
square both sides
3x+4 = x^2
x^2 - 3x - 4 = 0
(x-4)(x+1) = 0
x = 4 or x = -1
- Algebra 2 URGENT PLEASE HELP - Reiny, Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 7:15pm
I pressed "post answer" too soon
Of course since we squared both sides, extraneous roots could have been introduced, so all answers have to be verified.
if x = 4
LS = √(12+4)
= √16 = 4 = RS
if x = -1
LS = √1 = 1
RS = -1
so x = 4 is the only solution.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra 2 - solve. If the equation has no real solutions, say so. Square root of...
- algebra,math - Solve the equation. Check both solutions and only write the real ...
- Algebra - Use the quadratic formula to solve the equation. Give exact answers: ...
- Pre Algebra - Please help me with some problems. Thank you! Solve the equation ...
- algebra - Help Fast PLEASE!! check for corrections on my problems 1.Rewrte the ...
- algebra - 1.)correct 2.)wrong---> the first term is wrong 4(3a^2)^2 = 36a^4 3...
- algebra - could someone please check these roblems for me and if they are not ...
- algebra - Find the real solutions 8x^2 + y^2 = 25 8X^2 - y^2 = 39 Is this no ...
- Algebra - Hello Reiny, please check these problems for me and if they are not ...
- Algebra (urgent!) - I am a bit confused about conjugates in algebra. I am ...