Posted by - on Friday, November 6, 2009 at 8:21pm.
The London Eye is a large ferris wheel. Each sealed and air-conditioned passenger capsule holds about 25 passengers. The diameter of the wheel is 135 m, and the wheel takes about half an hour to complete one revolution.
a) Determine the exact angle, in radians, that a passenger will travel in 5 min.
b) How far does a passenger travel in 5 min.?
c) How long would it take a passenger to travel 2 radians?
d) What is the angular velocity of a passenger, in radians per second?
e) What is the angular velocity of a passenger, in degrees per second?
- math - Reiny, Friday, November 6, 2009 at 8:44pm
Since you state that the wheel takes about half an hour to complete one rotation, how can you expect an exact angle in a)
a) in 30 min it rotates 2pi radians
in 1 min it rotates 2pi/30 radians
in 5 min it rotates 5(2pi/30) or pi/3 radians
b) find the circumference (C) of the wheel, that will tell you how far a person travels in one rotation.
Now, what fraction of 30 minutes is 5 minutes ?
c) set up a ration:
C/(2pi) = x/2 , solve for x
d) it moves at 2pi radians every 30 min
= 2pi/30 rad/min
= 2pi/(30*60) rad/sec
= pi/900 radians/sec
e) same thing, use 360º instead of 2pi
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - The London Eye is a large ferris wheel. Each sealed and air-conditioned ...
- Math - The rim of the London Eye (a 135m diameter ferris wheel) moves 26 cm/sec...
- mathematics - The London eye in England is the biggest big wheel in the world. ...
- Math (please help!) - The largest Ferris Wheel in the world is the London Eye in...
- math - the maximun height of a ferris wheel is 35m. the wheel takes 2 mins to ...
- Trig application - I'm having trouble with this trig application. The scenario ...
- Physics - A particular Ferris wheel takes you through one complete revolution ...
- Math - Tony visits the local fair and sees one if therides, the ferris wheel. ...
- Science - At a county fair, a boy takes his teddy bear on the giant Ferris wheel...
- Physics - At a county fair, a boy takes his teddy bear on the giant Ferris wheel...