Posted by y912f on Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 5:45pm.
'here's an assignment that i have to do:
Phone Book Character
Select a name from the phonebook that makes an impression on you.
Examples: Angelic J. Pureheart
What kind of impressions might the name Angelic J. Pureheart give you?
Would she be a member of the church choir?
Would she teach Sunday school?
Would she always tell the truth?
Would she have a fair complexion and long, blond hair?
Lucifer F. Heller
What kind of impressions might the name Lucifer F. Heller give you?
Would he cause trouble in the neighborhood?
Would he attend school or a job regularly?
Would he rarely tell the truth?
Would he spend much of his time hanging out on the streets?
Decide what impression you want your description to convey. Is this person:
funny, kind, friendly, weird, rich, talkative
clever, talented, an airhead, troublesome, poor, a brain
stubborn, phony, patriotic, fearless, a pest, a nerd
helpful, happy, a complainer, well-dressed, stressed, whatever you choose
Pick only one of these (or choose an impression of your own) and include it with the name of the person in your thesis statement with a three-step format.
-To make your descriptive as vivid as possible, try to include details that appeal to at least three or four senses. (Sights, Sounds, Smells, Tastes, Physical Senstations)
-Remember that a good description "shows" the reader through sense details, it does not simply "tell."
-Do you want to convey a positive impression or a negative impression of whom you are describing?
-What are some of the qualities or characteristics of this poem?
The description will be five paragraphs long following the five-paragraph essay format.
Paragraph #1 contains the introduction leading up to your thesis statement. This paragraph contains an attention getting device an a three-step format thesis statement.
Paragraph #2 describes the physical appearance of this person.
Paragraph #3 describes the person's surroundings.
Paragraph #4 describes the person's actions or behaviors.
Paragraph #5 conclusion restates the thesis statement and ends with a clincher about this person.
please help me with a good name and i will get started on this as soon as possible
alright, like i said, i want a name with meaning. like the examples they gave, the names have a set meaning so it helps a lot when writing the essay...so i guess i should just make up a name.
um...how about......John D. Makintosh
haha it's the best i can think of..the impression i get is of a real rich person.
- Grammar and Composition - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 5:57pm
That's a good start. The John D. reminds me of John D. Rockefeller. Mackintosh is a Scottish name so maybe he's very frugal. Use your imagination to fill in the rest.
For really weird names, I've heard that there was a woman named Ima Hogg. My son's first boss was King Lear (no kidding!).
This site has some more weird names.
- Grammar and Composition - y912f, Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 6:08pm
and i did think of John D Rockefeller ... that's how i came up with it.. so i think i'll use this. it says you can only choose one impression. for this one, in my opinion, it could be rich, clever, well-dressed..i think rich would be the best to chose for this.
what do you think ms.sue.
(p.s. if you don't think i can write enough on this, then i will change the name)
- Grammar and Composition - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 6:12pm
Certainly you can write plenty about a rich person. Home? Food? Travels? Cars? Plane? Boat? Job? Recreation?
- Grammar and Composition - y912f, Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 6:12pm
that website is good..
what about, Rose Bush?
- Grammar and Composition - y912f, Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 6:13pm
ok, then i'll just use the Macintosh one..i'll post as soon as i have some prewriting done
- Grammar and Composition - johanna, Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 5:53pm
write three analogies using antonyms of your own
Answer this Question
- Grammar and Composition - here's an assignment that i have to do: Phone Book ...
- Grammar and Compositon Bobpursley - Ok! I put a good hour into this, and I ...
- To Dylan - re English essay - To repeat your assignment: "In a five-paragraph ...
- English - I believe it is B and then C? 1. Examples in writing ________. A. help...
- english - how do you write an evaluation? What kind of evaluation are you ...
- Grammar and Composition - Hi, I have started working on the Phone Book Character...
- English - i'm reading a book called "1984" i have an assignment that got to do ...
- Grammar and Composition - I need to change my original paragraph, to improve it...
- Literature Question - I have this question on a homework assignment and I am ...
- programming - 1. Suppose that you want to search for a friend, ‘S’, telephone ...