Posted by Jenny on Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 9:21pm.
A biologist is studying the epithelial cells in a variety of plants and animals. She counts the chromosomes in the epithelial cells of several organisms and finds the following numbers:
Organism A: 32 chromosomes
Organism B: 26 chromosomes
Organism C: 24 chromosomes
Organism D: 22 chromosomes
Organism E: 27 chromosomes
Organism F: 12 chromosomes
Organism G: 9 chromosomes
Organism H: 14 chromosomes
Organism I: 38 chromosomes
Assuming that there are no significant mutations represented in these organisms, is it possible that any two or more of these organisms are from the same species? If so, what organisms could possibly be from the same species?
Science - PsyDAG, Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 11:53pm
If there are "no significant mutations," wouldn't all the members of the same species have the same number (the species number) of chromosomes in their epithelial cells?
I hope this helps. Thanks for asking.
Science - Jay Wile, Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 8:15am
This person is cheating in a contest that SPECIFICALLY says you cannot post the question in a public forum. This person is also violating copyright, as the person has copied directly from the website where the question was posted.
Science - Anonymous, Monday, May 23, 2016 at 7:35pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Biology - If a diploid organism has 4 chromosomes, how many pairs of homologous ...
- Biology - Which of the following cells check for during the G2 check point? a. ...
- genetics - Suppose that for an organism, 2N = 8. How many chromosomes do the ...
- Science - In a diploid organism with 2n=8, what is the probability that one of ...
- biology - Suppose that for an organism, 2n=8. How many chromosomes do the ...
- Biology - The creation of sex cells occurs in meiosis. Explain what happens when...
- Science - My original question: In a diploid organism with 2n=8, what is the ...
- 11Science - A diploid organism has five pairs of chromosomes in each somatic ...
- Biology - If there are 12 chromosomes in an animal cell in interphase of the ...
- Biology - 25. If there are 12 chromosomes in an animal cell in interphase of the...