Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 12:19pm.
An auditorium has 49 rows of seats. The first row contains 40 seats. As you move to the rear of the auditorium, each row has 3 more seats than the previous row.
* I am pretty sure it involves both arithmetic series and explicit formulas but im not sure exactly how to go about it
math- Algebra 2 - jim, Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 12:37pm
OK. First, what exactly is the question? How many seats in the last row? How many seats in the auditorium?
Let's figure a model to start.
Row 1: 40
Row 2: 43
Row 3: 46
Row 4: 49
and so on.
We want a formula that, given the row, will tell us how many seats.
Multiplying the row by 3 has to be part of the answer, since there are 3 extra in each row, but that doesn't account for the initial row.
We _could_ subtract 3 from the 40, imagining a row 0 with 37 seats that doesn't exist. Then our formula would be nice and neat:
Seats in row = 37 + row * 3
Or we could equally well start at 40 but subtract 1 from the number of rows, to get:
Seats in row = 40 + (row - 1) * 3
I'll use the first.
s = 3r + 37
So in row 49 we have 3*49 + 37 seats.
math- Algebra 2 - Kaps, Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 12:37pm
you have 49 rows. row 1 has 40 seats. all u do is 40(n). 49*3=147 + 40= 187
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - An auditorium has 49 rows of seats. The first row contains 40 seats. As ...
- Math - An auditorium has 150 rows of seats. The first row has 15 seats, the ...
- Math - an auditorium has 50 rows of seats. THe first row has 20 seats, the row ...
- Math - An auditorium has 50 rows of seats. The first row has 20 seats, the ...
- Math - An auditorium has 30 rows of seats. It has 20 seats on the first row, 24 ...
- maths - seats are arranged in rows in a auditorium.each row has 5 more than the ...
- math - Determine the seating capacity of an auditorium with 10 rows of seats if ...
- math (plz help) - In a movie theater, theater A has 30 seats in the first row. ...
- Math (arithmetic) - The total seating capacity of an auditorium is 1,065. The ...
- math - In a movie theater, Theater A has 30 seats in the first row. Each next ...