Posted by Esther on Monday, October 26, 2009 at 7:42pm.
At a club play, 117 tickets were sold. Adults' tickets cost $1.25 and
children's tickets cost $0.75. In all, $129.75 was taken in. How many of
each kind of ticket were sold?
I don't know how to set up the equation.
1.25x + 0.75y=129.75
this is what I've done but it doesn't seem right!
Math - Reiny, Monday, October 26, 2009 at 8:07pm
but you also know that x+y = 117 from which
y = 117-x
now plug that into your first equation and continue.
Math - Esther, Monday, October 26, 2009 at 8:09pm
By process of elimination?
Math - jim, Monday, October 26, 2009 at 8:17pm
More like substitution.
You already worked out the hard bit:
1.25x + 0.75y = 129.75
and Reiny pointed out that
y = 117-x
So you can replace (substitute) y in your equation:
1.25x + 0.75(117-x) = 129.75
and I'm sure you can see your way home from there.
Math - Esther, Monday, October 26, 2009 at 8:17pm
Ok...I got it now, Thanks
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - how would you solve this problem? Adult tickets to a play cost $12 and ...
- Math - The seventh graders sold tickets to their play.the tickets cost $3 for ...
- Quick Math Help - At a school play, childrens tickets cost $3 each and adult ...
- Math - Exactly 120 tickets were sold for a concert. The tickets cost $12 each ...
- math - james sold 450 tickets for the community play. Tickets for children cost...
- math - Tickets for a certain show cost ?$15?, $24?, ?or, for VIP? seats, ?$41. ...
- math - the students are selling tickets to the school fair. all tickets cost the...
- math - The drama club sold $779 worth of tickets to the school play. Student ...
- MTED402 - THERE WERE 390 ADULT AND CHILDREN TICKETS THAT WERE SOLD AT A PLAY. ...
- Intermediate algebra - Jarrett was selling tickets at local carnical. The ...