Posted by Zava on Monday, October 26, 2009 at 6:48pm.
How do you simplify a expression with positive exponents?
How do you write a fractions an expression using a negative exponent?
- Math - jim, Monday, October 26, 2009 at 7:43pm
I'll try to answer the case I think you're asking about. If I'm guessing wrong, do ask again.
If you have something like x^2 * x^3 (x-squared times x-cubed) then you add the exponents:
x^2 * x^3 = x^5
Similarly, in general,
x^a * x^b = x^(a+b)
With negative exponents, you drop the negative bit, and write "one over" the expression, thus:
x^(-1) = 1/x
x^(-2) = 1/x^2
x^(-3.14159) = 1/x^3.14159
and in general
x^(-a) = 1/x^a
- Math - Zava, Monday, October 26, 2009 at 7:57pm
like, the scientific notation?
- Math - jim, Monday, October 26, 2009 at 8:00pm
Yes, but "scientific notation" is often used when talking about powers of 10, like:
20000 = 2 * 10^4
This makes arithmetic with large numbers easy, since, following the rule above, all you have to do is add powers to multiply the factors of 10, like:
(2.1 * 10^5) * (3 * 10^4)
= 2.1 * 3 * 10^5 * 10^4
= 6.1 * 10^9
- Math - jim, Monday, October 26, 2009 at 8:01pm
Oops: that last line should have been
= 6.3 * 10^9
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - simplify the expression; write without using negative exponents. Assume ...
- Algebra - Simplify each expression. Assume that no denominators are zero. Write ...
- Math(Please help) - Simplify each expression. Assume all variables are positive...
- algebra - ***show work evaluate the expression: 7^-6 (-6)^-9 simplify the ...
- College Algebra - I have a few more questions that I'm not understanding. Its ...
- algebra - write the following using a positive exponent, simplify the expression...
- urgent math - 1. Simplify the expression 7^9/7^3 a.7^3*** b.7^6 c.7^12 d.1^6 2...
- Algebra - Simplify the expression. Assume that all variables represent positive ...
- Calculus - Simplify the expression below. Express the answer so that all ...
- Math - Simplify each expression. Write answers using positive exponents. a. (7x^...