Posted by Anonymous on Monday, October 26, 2009 at 11:40am.
you extract 10 g of benzoic acid from an ether solution with aqueous NaHCO3
what is the min amount of concentrated HCl (37% by w/v%) that would be needed to convert the sodium benzoat back to free energy? (answer: 8.2 mL)
I know that the 37% is basically 37g/ 100ml but how would that help me?
How many extractions do you need in order to extract at least 95% of the benzoic acid with 15mL of methylene chloride (solvent 2) that are intially presented in 45mL of HCl (solvent 1)? You may assume that the partition coefficient to be 3.5 for the benzoic acid.(answer is 4)
I did something wrong!
10=9.5(45ml/[3.5*15 + 45])^n
solving for n and I don't get 4
Thanks for the help!
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 26, 2009 at 12:52pm
fn = [1+ Kd*(Vo/Va)]-n.
where fn = fraction remaining in the water layer. For 95% extraction, that would be 5/100 = 0.05 remaining.
0.05 = 1/[1+3.5(15/45)]n
I solve for n and I get 3.87 which would be 4 extractions.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 26, 2009 at 12:57pm
That character that didn't print clearly at the end of the formula is -n for the first one, and n for the second one.
0.05 = 1/[1+3.5(15/45)]^n
0.05 = 1/(2.1667)^n
(2.1667)^n = 1/0.05
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Organic Chemistry - I am suppose to calculate the theoretical amount (volume) of...
- Organic Chemistry - Extraction - You have 100 mL of a solution of benzoic acid ...
- organic chemistry - 1)Why benzoic acid is soluble in NaOH? 2)Why HCl is ...
- Organic Chemistry - separation and purification scheme how would i begin this? ...
- Chemistry - An etheral solution contains benzoic acid, 9-fluorenone, abd ethyl 4...
- chem - which of the following could be used to dissolve a carboxylic acid into ...
- Organic Chemistry - I realize this is a general chemistry stoichiometry question...
- Org. Chem. - what is the precipitate formed when HCl is added? I believe the ...
- chemistry - Please help. Concentrated hydrochloric acid is a 38% w/w solution of...
- OChem - A mixture of fluorene and benzoic acid is dissolved in diethyl ether and...