Posted by Tom on Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 5:17pm.
1. As he was sick, he could not go out.
2. Being sick, he cound not go out.
3. Sick, he could not go out.
(Are they all the same? Is #3 grammatical?)
4. Reading a book, he chew gum.
5. Shaking hands, he said hello.
6. Smiling brightly, he greeted me.
7. Walking in the park, he thought of the girl.
8. Talking on the phone, he read a comic book.
(Are they all grammatical?)
4-1. While he read a book, he chew gum.
5-1. While he shook hands, he said hello.
6-1. While he smile brightly, he greeted me.
7-1. Whild he walked in the park, he thought of the girl.
8-1. While he talked on the phone, he read a comic book.
(Are they all grammatical and the same as each equivalent?)
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 5:23pm
1 - 3 all mean about the same thing, but 3 is not a normal structure. "Because he was sick, he could not go out" is best.
4 is OK except for "chew" which should be "chews" or "chewed."
5 - 8 are all fine.
4-1 needs to have "chew" corrected.
5-1 is OK.
6-1 needs to have "smiled" not "smile."
7-1 and 8-1 are fine.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. Being sick, he didn't go to school. 2. Because he was sick, he didn...
- English - What makes our earth sick? - Steel cans make the earth sick. - Shampoo...
- English - The school nurse's sick note is on the table. (What is 'sick note'? ...
- English - 1. Candy stripers are teenage volunteers at hospitals. (What is the ...
- English - 1. What makes our earth sick? Gases from cars make the earth sick. ...
- English - Identify the sentence that uses the present perfect progressive tense ...
- English - 1. At the age of nine years old, he became too sick. 2. At the age of ...
- math - If 7% of people are sick with flu. 80% are sick with regular flu, and 20...
- English - I need to make a syllogism for an advertisement. I choose to use ...
- English - 1. Because she looked very sick, he took her to the hospital. 2. She ...