Posted by Jin on Saturday, October 24, 2009 at 8:28pm.
In Figure (a), a block of mass m lies on a horizontal frictionless surface and is attached to one end of a horizontal spring (spring constant k) whose other end is fixed. The block is initially at rest at the position where the spring is unstretched (x = 0) when a constant horizontal force vector F in the positive direction of the x axis is applied to it. A plot of the resulting kinetic energy of the block versus its position x is shown in Figure (b). The scale of the figure's vertical axis is set by Ks = 2.4 J and the scale of the figure's horizontal axis is set by xmax = 2.8 m.
| Ks| / \
a) |xxxx b) |/ \x=2.8m
figure a) a box connected to the wall by a spring.
figure b) a graph of K over x where K is 0 at x=0 and at x = 2.8. Ks = 2.4 J
1) What is the magnitude of F?
2) What is k(spring coefficient)?
physics - bobpursley, Saturday, October 24, 2009 at 8:53pm
Is there a possiblity you can post the drawing on your website?
physics - Jin, Saturday, October 24, 2009 at 9:00pm
I figured it out. All you need to do is use Wnet = Wforce + Wspring = Kf - Ki twice. Once for the entire displacement Kf - Ki = 0 and once for half way where Kf - Ki = 2.4. Both times you will have a k(spring constant term) in the equation and if you solve for them and set equal you can solve for Force. Thanks anyway bobpursley.
physics - Sopuruchi, Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 2:40pm
Solve this eqution in fall A body travels from rest with acceleration 8m/s2 find velocity when it has covered a distance of 100m.
ncrt - numerical, Friday, March 18, 2016 at 3:36am
ncert - numerical, Friday, March 18, 2016 at 3:37am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- PHYSICS - A block of mass m lies on a horizontal frictionless surface and is ...
- physics - A physics student pulls a block of mass m = 23 kg up an incline at a ...
- physics - A solid block of mass m2 = 1.0 $kg$, at rest on a horizontal ...
- Physics - An ideal massless spring is fixed to the wall at one end. A block of ...
- AP PHYSICS MECH. - In Figure 9-62, block 2 (mass 1.3 kg) is at rest on a ...
- physics - A solid block of mass m2 = 8.3 kg, at rest on a horizontal ...
- physics - The block in the figure below lies on a horizontal frictionless ...
- physics - A block of mass m = 4 kg slides along a horizontal table when it ...
- Physics to be solved - The block in the figure below lies on a horizontal ...
- Physics - A block of mass M=6 kg and initial velocity v=0.8m/s slides on a ...