Posted by y912f on Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 2:52pm.
The middle part of your paper is the body of the paper. It develops the most important points, which support your thesis statement. It contains three paragraphs. These paragraphs follow the points listed in the three-step format.
Paragraph 2 (first point of your thesis)
My favorite place to go to as soon as I got to Asheville was the river. I would take my shoes off and place my feet inside the cool water of the river. Just the sound of the riverís gentle and even flow was enough to sooth me. The fact that the water was so chilly had no affect on me because the warm sun peeking through the trees always left me feeling cozy. No words can describe how I felt when I sat there on the wet grass; it was like the water was taking away all the stress and problems I had and washing them away with the current.
- Grammar and Composition - bobpursley, Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 2:57pm
I am determined to make a great writer of you.
Take this sentence:
<<The fact that the water was so chilly had no affect on me because the warm sun peeking through the trees always left me feeling cozy. No words can describe how I felt when I sat there on the wet grass; it was like the water was taking away all the stress and problems I had and washing them away with the current>>
Consider: The water of the stream chilled my bare feet, but I felt only the sun through the trees, and was cozy and snug on the bank. The wet grass as my seat leaves me in a state of wonder at where all my cares have gone, they seem to drift downstream with the cleansing water.
Now work on those sentences, you can make them stand as portraits for all to see and feel. The reader needs to feel what you are describing.
Keep it up.
- Grammar and Composition - y912f, Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 3:00pm
um...i don't thin i can ever get that good
am i allowed to use your suggestion? :)
- Grammar and Composition - bobpursley, Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 3:02pm
No, what I am trying to get you to do is "show" the description, instead of "telling" it. Use words that evoke feelings, not sight. Work on those sentences. Show the reader, not tell the reader.
- Grammar and Composition - y912f, Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 3:03pm
- Grammar and Composition - y912f, Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 3:09pm
...I couldnít even feel my feet because of the chilly water of the stream, but the warm sun that came through the trees was enough to leave me feeling cozy. Sitting there on the bank, I felt as if the pure water of the river was washing away all my worries with it.
- Grammar and Composition - bobpursley, Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 3:13pm
yes, close, but try to take "I" out of the picture, and place the reader in. As..
My feet felt numb because.....Sitting on the bank, my worries were washed away with the river moving downstream.
You want the reader to feel it. That is what I mean by showing, and getting away from the telling.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I have a question about writing my thesis for my paper. The topic was ...
- MLA citation - Of the following, which is the most important to consider when ...
- Check my Book Report - Check for any corrections i should make... Heres the ...
- writing - "Part 1: Write an exploratory essay in which you compare and contrast ...
- Writing - Select the letter of the item that makes the sentence UNTRUE: 1. The ...
- help please!: - All of the following statements about conclusion paragraphs are ...
- us history - Write a five-paragraph essay that answers the following question: ...
- comm156 - Create an outline that includes details that support your thesis. ...
- Grammar and Composition - I don't know if anybody remembers, but a long time ago...
- english - final revision - Now that you have finished your research paper, what ...