Posted by Mathpleasehelp on Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 2:59am.
Jim bought some chocolates and gave half of it to Ken.Ken bought sweets and gave half of it to Jim.Jim ate 12 sweets and Ken ate 18 chocolates.The ratio of Jim's sweets to chocolate became 1:7 and the ratio of ken's sweets to chocolates became 1:4.How many sweets did Ken buy?
Math - Ajay Sir, Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 6:46am
Ken buys 68 sweets.
Math - Reiny, Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 9:04am
make a chart:
c choc's .. s sweets
(1/2)s + (1/2)c ... (1/2)s + (1/2)c
Jim eats 12 sweets , so amount left:
(1/2)s - 12 sweets and (1/2)c choc's
but that ratio is 1:7
so [(1/2)s - 12]/[(1/2)c] = 1/7
(s - 24)/c = 1/7
c = 7s - 168 #1
Ken eats 18 choc's, so amount left"
(1/2)s + (1/2)s - 18
but that ratio is 1:4
so [(1/2)s]/[(1/2)c - 18] = 1/4
s/(c-36) = 1/4
4s = c-36
c = 4s - 36 #2
equate #1 and #2 and solve for s
7s-168 = 4s+36
s = 68
back in #1 I get
c = 308
Jim : 68 sweets, Ken : 308 choc's
Jim has 34 sweets, 154 chocs
Ken has 34 sweets, 154 chocs, they have the same
after eating as stated above
Jim has 22 sweets, 154 chocs --> ratio = 22:154 = 1:7
Ken has 34 sweets, 136 choc's --> ratio = 34:136 = 1:4
Math - Mathpleasehelp, Friday, October 23, 2009 at 2:14am
Thanks so much Reiny and Ajay Sir
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Jim bought some chocolatees and gave half of it to Ken. Ken bought some ...
- math - Ken's average driving speed is 25km/hr faster than Jim's. In the same ...
- MATH - The ratios of the number of sweets Abigail has to the number of sweets ...
- math,(fraction) - Becky bought 25kg of sweets.she kept 1kg of sweets for her use...
- MATH - HENRY, ANDY AND JOE SHARED SOME SWEETS IN THE RATIO 15:12:9 RESPECTIVELY...
- Logical Reasoning - During the spring, Jim mows his lawn twice per week. During ...
- Maths - A teacher has 16 boxes of sweets. Each box contains 25 sweets. The ...
- Algebra - Jim is starting a new diet. When he arrived home, he ate 1/3 of the ...
- Math - Jim ate 3/8 of pie and Jung ate 0.25 of the same pie. Shade the amounte ...
- math - Jim ate 3/8 of a pie and jung ate 0.25 of the same pie. Shade the amount ...