Posted by sh on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 10:53pm.
Differentiate the following function:
Thanks in advance.
- Calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 10:59pm
my first line after the quotient rule is
dy/dx = (√x - (1/2)x(-1/2)(x+1))/x
which reduces to (x+1)/(2x^(3/2))
- Calculus - sh, Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 11:03pm
What did you do to get the first line?
- Calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 11:07pm
As I said, I used the quotient rule.
Judging by the type of question you are differentiating, you must know that.
change your question to
y = (x+1)(x^(-1/2)) and use the product rule.
same result of course.
- Calculus - sh, Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 11:08pm
Oh, I haven't learnt the quotient rule, only the power rule, thanks.
- Calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 11:35pm
ok then try this
y = (x+1)/√x
= x/√x + 1/√x
= x^(1/2) + x^(-1/2)
so dy/dx = (1/2)x(-1/2) - (1/2)x^(-3/2)
= (1/2)x^(-3/2)[x - 1}
Just noticed that in my intial reply I had x+1 instead of x-1 in the numerator.
This last result is the correct one.
- Calculus - sh, Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 11:44pm
The back of the textbook just left it as y'= (1/2)x(-1/2) - (1/2)x^(-3/2)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Find an equation of the line that bisects the obtuse angles formed by the...
- maths - I will be thankfull to you if you help me to solve the below problem: 6...
- Algebra - How would i complete these problems? 1. (√6mn)^5 2. ^3√16x...
- Algebra - Simplify the expressions and solve the equations 1. 2√3 - √...
- Algebra Work Check - 1. 5√6 * 1/6√216 5/6 * √1296 5/6 * √...
- Algebra 2 Answer Check - Simplify by rationalizing each denominator. 1. 2/√...
- Math help Ms. Sue please - 1. What is the simplified form of the expression? 7m^...
- algebra 1 - alright i have a few questions if its ok..? Simplify: 1. -2√(...
- Algebra 2 - Can someone help me with this radical expression please? The problem...
- Precalculus - Determine the exact value of cos 465 degrees a) √3 + √...